Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Good Deed For The Day RRR  (Read 846 times)

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Good Deed For The Day RRR
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
So I started working for a new customer last week on an 1800s farm house.
She explained she needed to clean the barns out as well. I'm doing interior painting for now.
Well I saw a kettle and we looked at it. Today as I pulled up all I could see is that kettle sitting there.
I knew it needed some love. She's 3rd generation on the farm. They recently sold the 1225 acres of farm land but kept the house with some acreage. Now known as the Hudson Halley Farm Hub. Really cool thing. You can Google it. Well I asked if I could take it home and clean it up. She's a weathered warrior with a lot of life left in her. 2 of the leg sockets are pushed in a little but original OT is functional with ease. I can't wait to see the look on her face tomorrow. It was her parents who have both passed. Lord knows how long it sat there.
Will need a new cooking grate as it is shot. I left them at the barn. Hopefully she will use it. If it gets offered to me I will offer it here for FREE to someone who may want a birth year WW.

Lid had about an 1/8" of dust/crap on it

But it cleaned up nice. H code

Handles are in decent shape.

Triangle will look good once I get more 0000 SW. DOH, can't believe I ran out. Oh well.

She had no ash pan

Raindog

• WKC Brave
Re: Good Deed For The Day RRR
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 04:47:43 PM »
Nice. Kettle Karma is headed your way...

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:01 PM »

@CatskillSmoker - Colin, if you whack the pushed in area on the inside of the bowl with a rubber mallet, those leg sockets (and in turn the legs) should straighten right up.  Like me my first time, you will probably be apprehensive about how strong of a whack to use so it may take a you a couple of tries.  I've done it so many times now I usually get it with one "Lizzie Borden" whack.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:07:35 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
I've seen Jim do it.. He has that look in his eye that will send chills.. Whack a mole got nuthin on him!
Lol

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 03:36:40 AM »
I think all the dust protected her, just look at the handles
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 06:34:41 AM »
I saw the pics earlier but didnt get a chance to hear this back story!  Awesome!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »
That’s really neat. But if the whack-a-socket doesn’t work, consider installing a new front leg (custom, longer) or whatever’s needed to level it. It won’t be much fun cooking on a leaner, yeah?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch