Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Old Cast Iron  (Read 1607 times)

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
Old Cast Iron
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:18:43 PM »
Someone is selling the items in the picture below for $75 and the cast iron appears to be old (at least the one lid that you can see is Wagner)

I have heard old cast iron cooks very well. I already have two skillets, but dont have a dutch oven or larger pot. Should I pull the trigger or do you think this is a waste of money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:20:16 PM by julweidn »

randy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Old Cast Iron
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:47:04 PM »
If it’s old Wagner Ware, worth every penny. Wagner Ware was made in my hometown. Old Grizwald is some good stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:44:14 AM »
For sure worth the asking price, the old Wagner Ware is good stuff
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:41:45 AM »
older wagner ware and griswold is usually worth grabbing....some can be quite collectible while others can just be great to cook on.  That is presuming they werent beat up too badly through the years.  I'd take a real good look at everything before paying much.  The bottom of that upside down pan in the photo above has what looks like some pretty serious pitting.

What tends to be nice about the old cast iron, from a cooking standpoint, is just how smooth the cooking surfaces are.  Part of this is being seasoned well and used through the years.  Part of it is also the sand used way back when in the casting is for some reason a bit different than whats used today.  Smaller particles of sand lead to almost mirror smooth surfaces.  Really noticeable if you have brand new (well somewhat recent anyway) cast iron right next to the old stuff.  If I use a paper towel on the new stuff it pulls and leaves pieces behind on the surface.  The old stuff is like a finely waxed car!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
I'd grab it for sure...i collect and use cast iron...like some have said, older is better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:33:38 AM »
It is amazing how bad it can look and be restored, but I agree with lksdrinker, the upside down pan looks like it is pitted.

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:43:00 AM »
I love old cast iron and I use several pieces of it. Once in a while I check out the new cheap stuff, and yes, the texture is so rough you can file your fingernails on it.

Ironware and fire go together beautifully but I have learned that if you use a piece in the smoker, you can wash it but the next time you heat it in the oven it will bloom smoke aroma exactly as if you had a campfire going in the kitchen.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
I wouldn’t mind finding old if it was not out of the way and inexpensive. I like my modern lodge cast iron. Works fantastic and is very non stick despite the roughness.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »
Some folks collect old CI pans like others collect old kettles...
I  would jump on that without hesitation...

Joshua_423

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 02:51:41 AM »
My new Lodge stuff cooks great as well and isn't overly priced on most items! They charge a lot more for the old stuff down here in GA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 03:39:08 AM »

My new Lodge stuff cooks great as well and isn't overly priced on most items! They charge a lot more for the old stuff down here in GA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Yep. My lodge skillet is only 6 months old and I use it everyday. I promise it’s so slick you have to chase your egg around the skillet with a spatula trying to flip it.

I was looking for old cast iron for awhile but something about used cast iron scares me a little. I know they can be cleaned but their pourus nature makes me nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 05:49:38 PM »
If you do not need the GAW and it is in good condition you could sell that to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bluewhisper

• WKC Brave
    • Alex Šilbajoris
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
After I moved out of my parents' house, Dad decided he liked non-stick so they threw away all of the old cast iron I grew up with, without TELLING ME FIRST so I've had to rebuild my collection since ~1996. 

Oh well, so now I have some pieces I never had when growing up, like the "combi" dutch oven and the oval casserole which I call the Lifeboat. The square Lodge skillet rides perfectly on the Sportsman grill. I also have some odd old pieces from a friend's mom, maybe her mom, a flat round griddle like for pancakes and a big skillet, both of them with nice smooth surfaces. They need some reconditioning love but they're otherwise ready.