Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cook ribs in advance technique  (Read 815 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Cook ribs in advance technique
« on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
I'll be smoking 6 racks of ribs for a gathering this weekend. We are doing a pool thing from 3-5 and eating at 5 at friend's house.

The two options I have considered are:

1) Cook ribs completely that morning, cool on counter to stop cooking, wrap in foil, place in cooler with ice, reheat on gas grill

2) Cook ribs 85%, cool on counter to stop cooking, wrap in foil, place in cooler with ice, finish on gas grill

In both cases I would sauce some racks while on grill to allow sauce to set before serving.

Any insight on which would provide a better product? To me, it seems option 2 has more wiggle room/less margin of error for ribs being overcooked.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cook ribs in advance technique
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
If it’s not far away I would be tempted to bring them hot and put them in a foil pan with a little apple juice and hold them in the oven then finish on gas

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:27:08 AM »
If I did bring them cold I would still bring them to temp in the oven before gas.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:03:42 AM »
Thanks for the insight @HoosierKettle. It is only 15 min way. I could time it such they finish 15 min before we leave, I can let them cool a bit to stop cooking, foil pan in apple juice, keep warm in oven, reset bark on gas grill and sauce if desired.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:11:16 AM »

Thanks for the insight @HoosierKettle. It is only 15 min way. I could time it such they finish 15 min before we leave, I can let them cool a bit to stop cooking, foil pan in apple juice, keep warm in oven, reset bark on gas grill and sauce if desired.

It’s just a theory. I’ve never held ribs in the oven before.

I actually googled this yesterday because I was curious. On a big green egg forum there were guys that said they held ribs in a cooler wrapped in foil and blankets for 3-4 hours and they stayed very hot. Good luck whichever way you decide to go and let us know how it goes.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Cook ribs in advance technique
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
I’ve tried taking ribs to others homes/gatherings like you’re considering with mixed results. Sometimes chatting runs long or people wait for someone else to start eating. The ribs will still be good, but not their best.

I now only cook ribs on my home turf...to be cut and served immediately. If traveling...I take a dish or drinks.

But...

Since you asked...I would cook them to just about bite through...foil and put in a cooler (to stay hot... no ice). Also...put a foil pan in the bottom of cooler in case the wrapped ribs leak.

Put a toothpick between the bones...I would take them off the smoker when they still have a little “lift.” The meat will “hold” on to the toothpick ever so slightly (just before the probe like butter). A little carryover and they’ll still be hot. Sauce on the gasser for 15 to set it and they should be bite through tender, if not a little over (which most prefer).

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:47:56 AM by Mike in Roseville »