Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: St. Louis Crew  (Read 2215 times)

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
St. Louis Crew
« on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
Hey Guys and Gals,
I have twin 6 year old’s(boy/girl) and am trying to plan a Vacation for this summer. I’m thinking maybe staying in St.Louis for a couple nights and showing the kids the Big City. Any help from locals for great kid friendly fun will be most appreciated also where not to stay or areas to avoid.
Thanks in Advance!!!
Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: St. Louis Crew
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
The Gateway Arch will be several hours. The actual ride up/down/inside doesn't take long, but there is sometimes quite a wait until your group can go up. But you know ya gotta do it! There's normally an interesting documentary to watch on how it was made and a history museum in it also.

The kids will really dig City Museum, https://www.citymuseum.org and so will mom and dad. You might take in a ball game, and there are great restaurants downtown and nearby. If you narrow down which part of metro STL you'll be staying in, we can recommend things nearby, in case you don't want to stay downtown.

[Edit: In case the link doesn't make it clear, City Museum isn't a museum per se, but has "archived" portions of cities to climb around on, and through. STL has actual museums such as the MO History Museum of course.)

And I recommend the Zoo in Forest Park, which is actually free due to a public subsidy from a cultural tax. You're welcome! (But the Zoo's nice anyway, and there's a nifty narrow gauge railway inside the kids will also like riding.)

And hey, there's a Weber Restaurant, too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 05:20:56 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
I’m going to be flying solo( recently divorced) so a hotel on the outskirts with a pool for the kids would be good. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming! Gonna hit Weber Grill for sure!

randy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 05:39:51 PM »
Last time I was in there we went to Grants farm, bonus is two beers at the end [emoji106]

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »
Yep, the kids will like Grant's Farm. (Like a petting zoo, but with food and beer ... ) The crusty old guys slinging the free brews have a near photographic memory, as you might imagine, such that you'll be taking your life in your hands if attempting a 3rd free beer in that line.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
St. Louis Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
Zoo is free and has won or gotten second place for best zoo in the country on numerous occasions.  Grants Farm is great and is a fun place to go to see animals in more of a natural habitat (buffalos etc) and offers camel rides.  I personally hate the City Museum but most people, especially kids love it.  The Magic House is great.  There is a cool chocolate factory called “chocolate, chocolate, chocolate” that gives free tours that is really cool (call ahead for the tour).  The Children’s Garden inside of the Botanical Garden, The Science Center is awesome.  The museum of transportation is great as well.  I’ve got more that I can’t think of off the top of my head that I will post about later.  In terms of food for bbq there is Pappy’s and Sugarfire.  Ted Drewes Frozen Custard is an absolute must.  Syberg’s/Helen Fitzgerald’s for wings and definitely try the toasted ravioli! In terms of were to avoid...north city and north county.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:41:11 PM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
The Arch is cool and the wait to go up usually isn’t that bad at all.

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 11:12:14 AM »
When do we tell him about slingers?

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »
Thanks all! I will only be spending a couple nights then moving on. It looks like I will have plenty of options, just have to list them and locations and hit as much as possible with the twins. I have access to a plumb SSP in good shape if anyone is interested and I’ll be in town. I flipped it to a friend and is chef wife hates it. He’s/She’s  going back to his Kingsford grill. I can get pics if interested and bring it along.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
I’d be curious to learn what advantages the Kingsford has over a 22.5 Weber.

Maybe talk to @SteveZ re: the SSP

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:15:51 PM »
I’d be curious to learn what advantages the Kingsford has over a 22.5 Weber.

Maybe talk to @SteveZ re: the SSP

I can’t see it. I looked at them and... nothing. Hell even the Kingsford web page has a Weber on it.
https://www.kingsford.com/?dmp=grilling&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6PjI08TK2wIVkchkCh2LaAKqEAAYASAAEgL2ZvD_BwE#cHiXG7k2IECFazw4.97

Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:06:40 PM »
This is the style they like. They like being able to adjust the cooking great for better searing. I tried to explain 3 zone cooking by layering coals. Professional chefs can be testy when explain cooking techniques....  Note the Kingsford needs replacing after 3 years of use(bottom burned out). Everyone has their personal preferences, mine is any Weber product.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-Charcoal-Grill-Inches-Black/dp/B00NEOFUHW