Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ot vs 3wheeler for smoking  (Read 807 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Ot vs 3wheeler for smoking
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:39:25 AM »
Is it easier to maintain lower temps with a 3 wheeler since they already have lower air flow? Or is a one touch "better" for ease of adjustment? I out better in quotes only because i know its all personal preference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ot vs 3wheeler for smoking
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
The larger variables are how well the lid seals and how well the lower vents seal. But in theory you should have more control with the daisy wheels, and of course you can shut off the one(s) underneath the food if doing it as a 2-zone.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:10 AM »
I think for long slow cooks the 3 wheels work best. I set and forget, with the one touch I seem to fiddle with it a lot.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
best way to keep temp constant is to add mass such as a tub of water or a few bricks.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »
I have no data on her than anecdotal observation, but it’s Three wheeler all the way.  If I use the SnS for low and slow, I shut two and use one vent opposite the coals.  As long as the lids seals good, you get excellent temp can control.  If the lid doesn’t seal perfect, some binder clips work to clamp it down. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Ot vs 3wheeler for smoking
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »
For a kettle, I’ve always had better long cooks on ones when an OT. Mark the blade location with a sharpie on the outer shroud  where the OT handle sticks out...1/2 open...1/3...barely cracked, etc.

On a 3 wheeler, you technically have more control, true. But, I’ve found myself making more minor adjustments (especially if using a long snake) with daisy wheels as opposed to a one touch system.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:38:23 AM by Mike in Roseville »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »
I’ll vote that it doesn’t matter. I’ve been able to run in my temp range easily in both types. I’ve moved all my OT grills and I’m now only cooking on and collecting daisy wheel grills. The older the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.