Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap DIY Roti ring for 26er?  (Read 1320 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Cheap DIY Roti ring for 26er?
« on: May 12, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
Okay, I’m cheap. I’ve come to terms with that by now in my life. Plus, I like building things myself. I can’t weld or rivet, but I can cut with an angle grinder or a jigsaw, and I can drill holes & bolt them closed as well as the next guy, I suppose.

So here’s my conundrum- I’ve been looking for a rotisserie for a long time. I finally found a Weber Genesis on CL for free a couple months ago that included the roti! I pounced, striped, (also came with a shish kabob rack & TWO propane tanks) & flipped. The roti motor, mount, & spit will fit perfectly in my 26.75”, but I need to figure out how to get (make?) a ring for her. (The spit just won’t fit in a 22.5”, believe me, I’ve tried.)

Any suggestions? I’d like to find something I could repurpose for the ring to save some dough, but let me know if this is something where I just need to bite the bullet & pay retail for a Cajun Bandit or something like that.

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Re: Cheap DIY Roti ring for 26er?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »
I forgot to mention, the pic above is the spit I acquired sitting in a 26.75” Weber bowl we use as a fire pit now. The ring I hope to build will go in my actual 26er, “Beyoncé” (not pictured) that I cook with most frequently.

-Jed
-Jed

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »
If your as cheap as i am...which is unlikely...youll poke a couple holes in the kettle and screw the motor mount directly to the bowl. No ring required, and probably better fire control.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
Oh man that gives me an idea for the extra 26 bowl I have with weird leg sockets. Once around with the angle grinder might just net me a rotisserie ring, and one that’s porcelain enamel that the lid would sit properly on ...
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
85 gallon drum fits uds style. I have no idea where to find one though. Honestly you'd probably be better off going to the local fabrication shop and asking them to cut up a piece of stainless for you with similar construction to a kettle pizza. That's basically a strip of stainless bolted together into a ring. All you'd then need to do is to drill/notch it for the spit. Better yet, have them cut up a few and sell the rest of them so you can get yours for free!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:19 AM »

If your as cheap as i am...which is unlikely...youll poke a couple holes in the kettle and screw the motor mount directly to the bowl. No ring required, and probably better fire control.

Won’t this put the meat too low & close to the coals? (If that’s not a problem, I’m sold!)

-Jed
-Jed

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:26 AM »

Yeah, @einrej did this very thing to a 22" kettle.
Too bad, his pics are pooched in this thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/rotisserie-mod-for-22-kettle/msg147785/#msg147785
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 06:28:06 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
Here's what I did, had a strip of metal cut, a little grinding and voila!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157677916521603
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »
That looks like the EZ Cue spit. Loved by many. Looks unused.

I used mine tonight, I prefer the regular spit and forks.

The ezcue works well. Be sure the thumb screws are tight or you can lose your roast.

What I don’t like is cleaning is a pain in the butt. A single spit and a couple forks seems to clean up in half the time.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:10:44 AM by ClubChapin »

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
You will need
1 Old Weber
1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
    Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
   Questions?
   Thanks,
   E
DSCN0690sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN0691sml.jpg" border="0

I have cooked a 21 pound turkey on this grill
DSCN1465sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN6712sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN1473sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN2513sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN2517sml.jpg" border="0

DSCN4285sml.jpg" border="0