Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken quarters, direct via WSM  (Read 1405 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken quarters, direct via WSM
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Smoke rolling, boy mowing.

Quarters after first flip:

A later flip, Yum Yum sauce applied:

Kids feeding horses:

Quarters done:

Carrots carroting:

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
Re: Chicken quarters, direct via WSM
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »
Chicken looks terrific! That yard though—seeing those pictures makes me want to buy a new place with some land. You’ve got a nice spread!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:16:12 AM »
What a great spot you have! 

That’s my favorite way to do chicken. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:05:04 AM »
Awesomeness all the way around the yard, and the grill!!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:18:25 AM »
That’s one of my favorite ways to do chicken. Hot and direct (without the pan) on the WSM. Great job!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
Very nice cook pics man and beautiful barn!

Do you have to tend to the chicken often when cooked direct heat on a wsm? What kind of temp were you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
Very nice cook pics man and beautiful barn!

Do you have to tend to the chicken often when cooked direct heat on a wsm? What kind of temp were you running?

It worked a lot like an indirect cook on a kettle. I only flipped the chicken when I wanted to, which was once before saucing.

I did not monitor pit temp nor bird temp. The lid said 250-300, and based on what I did the day before I knew that was a solid 100 degrees less than actual for the top grate. Maybe it said 350 (giving me 450 for a while, I don't remember?)

When the skin had pulled back and I saw clear juices we were done. Did something different this time, putting a pat of butter under each skin, along with seasoning.

I'd placed a good layer of hickory lump in the pit, then started it with 2/3 chimney of lit KBB dumped on top. I haven't yet looked to see how much fuel is leftover.

A key advantage is that you don't have to worry about tin foil and drip pans in a WSM. Just let it hit the flame. You won't be searing steaks, but with everything else you have capacity and more even cooking relative to a 22 I think.

I'd considered hanging them instead, but what would that have accomplished other than worry they might pull apart and fall in? And it would have harder to baste. I suppose they would have cooked faster.

I can't say there was anything special about texture or taste here. I mean, it's freakin' chicken after all, and nothing (in my opinion) beats rotisserie.

But based on ease of use, freedom from worry about solid temps having staying power, lack of excessive grease soiling the machine, I know I'll be doing this again. I just have to play with seasonings and meat temps to know if the direct way is "better" or just different, for chicken.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
Chicken legs turned out great on WSM! Love the food and your property pics.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
Now that's 2 beautiful spreads. Congrats on both.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Chicken quarters, direct via WSM
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
“I can’t say there was anything special about texture or flavor”

I’m calling bullshit on this. Chicken cooked on the wsm direct is incredible and I find it enhances the flavor and texture. Try wings sometime as well.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
Nah, the rotisserie (full bird) is meaningfully better in my experience. But I’ll do this again and my mind my change.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
I was just kidding you. I do really like chicken cooked this way though.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »

Hey
   I have spun birds I have smoked them.. as long as you brine them in 5050salt and sugar and a qt of water for 4 hours they will be juicy

I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:25:06 AM »

Hey
   I have spun birds I have smoked them.. as long as you brine them in 5050salt and sugar and a qt of water for 4 hours they will be juicy

I would like to try brining sometime but my chicken and turkey always turns out juicy and delicious without it so I haven’t tried it.

Maybe it would be even better. I’ll get around to it eventually. That requires one thing I’m bad at. Planning ahead.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:00 AM »
Addictedtosmoke thanks for sharing.  The chicken looks incredible!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app