Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I need some comfort food  (Read 1006 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
I need some comfort food
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:09 PM »
I guess it's not been much of a secret that I've been going through a rough patch of one thing after another. I think by Wednesday next week, things will have turned around though.

In the mean time, now that I've gotten my appetite back, I've been craving some comfort food. Tonight, its leftovers. I've got some mashed maple sweet potatoes from earlier to warm up and two chicken leg quarters left out of a package of five.  I put some rub on them and got the barbecue lit up.

I've decided to try reverse searing them because it's been so easy to scorch the rub by accident going normally.  The results smell great so far. I'm going to take the lid off and flip them in a few minutes.  Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: I need some comfort food
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »
I just flipped the chicken and it's looking good, especially that skin without any burnt rub, so far. And it smells great too.  I can't wait to eat.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
Looks good my man! Leg quarters are my favorite and I always appreciate a guy cooking on lump!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
Chicken looks good! I find grilling, especially grilling chicken, to be therapeutic myself.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
The chicken turned out well but I did notice the reverse sear approach seriously knocked down the grilled flavour. The chicken was still good but it was closer to tasting like it has been cooked in the oven rather than the barbecue.

Maybe what I need to do is a very fast direct sear right at the start and flip them quickly.  Anyways, those are pictures of them searing up at the end and moments away from being eaten. I was starving by the time they were ready.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:59:18 PM »
The chicken turned out well but I did notice the reverse sear approach seriously knocked down the grilled flavour. The chicken was still good but it was closer to tasting like it has been cooked in the oven rather than the barbecue.

Maybe what I need to do is a very fast direct sear right at the start and flip them quickly.  Anyways, those are pictures of them searing up at the end and moments away from being eaten. I was starving by the time they were ready.

I have the same experience with reverse sear chicken not having as much grilled flavor. I wonder what contributes to that. Is it the sear? The smoke from drippings over hit coals? I would think the latter because you can still get a sear with the reverse sear

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Maybe drop a chunk or two of wood for some smoke to enhance the grilled flavor?