Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Help or Suggestions  (Read 1703 times)

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
Rotisserie Help or Suggestions
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »
Just picked up a rotisserie for 40 bucks. I have never used one before. Any helpful hints/suggestions/help so I can use it to it's full potential would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Rotisserie Help or Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:07:54 PM »
That's a screamin' deal of course. They are stupid-easy to use. Attach meat, flip the switch. Eat. I may have skipped a step or two, but not many.

Throw a whole chicken on it and try to tell me you've have better.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
Great deal and setup!  Looks familiar.  The roti is usually pretty easy to use. I learned this winter not to let all the coals ash over before dumping them in the baskets for a longer burn when its cold and windy.  I agree.  Get a chicken spinning.  You will love it.  This my setup at the cabin.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »

Congratulations Jason.  By far the rotisserie is my favorite and most used accessory thanks to prodding by @Travis to use one. When spinning a chicken or turkey, set up your charcoal baskets toward one end of the kettle with the drip pan pushed towards the other (see photos below).  Then make sure when you put the bird on the spit, the legs and thighs are closer to the charcoal baskets.  This allows the breast to be further from the heat and have less chance of being overdone or dried out.  The dark meat of the leg and thighs require a higher temperature (175 degrees) to be done and can tolerate the extra heat. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 07:21:45 PM »
It’s all about the spit

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
What's better than a chicken on the spit?

Two of them!
[emoji16]
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 02:36:35 AM »
Love the roti spin up a bird like everyone says @Cellar2ful idea on the bird and coal placement is spot on
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 09:00:42 AM »
Let me just say that if you haven't done so yet, you gotta try a duck on the rotisserie!! Nothing like it in the whirled!

First off, I washed both birdies and patted them dry. I scored the skin on the duck to let the fat drain out. When you do this, be careful not to cut into the meat... It can and will  dry out on you.

I cut up an orange, a lemon, a lime, and I grabbed 8 sprigs of rosemary from the garden.

The chicken was rubbed down with Mad Hunky inside and out, then stuffed with the lemon, lime, and 4 sprigs of rosemary. I then gave it an olive oil rubdown and a bit more MH.

The duck got a treatment of sea salt, crushed black pepper, granulated garlic, ginger and thyme, inside and out. It also got an olive oil rubdown, and stuffed with the orange and remaining rosemary...

I used the onion up the butt method on both birds to hold everything together.

I put together a basting sauce consisting of clarified butter, infused with rosemary, thyme, and garlic, with a touch of soy sauce. Sorry, this is the only pic I got of the basting sauce...

And now  onto the spin... I placed a pan in the middle of the coal grate, under the birds, to catch all that yummy duck fat. I stacked RO lump on both sides of the pan with a chunk of pecan. I got the temps steady at 375 and let her rip...

Starting to get color about 20 minutes in after the 1st baste...

Getting there...

Done!! I pulled them at between 165-170. Thankfully, they both got done at the same time!

And the duck... This was incredibly delicious, moist and tender...

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:03:25 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 09:19:51 AM »
Wow!

I've spun twin chickens a few times and it's ridiculous how easy it is to cook that way, once you have them trussed of course. I once did a duck and a turkey ... bad idea; the duck finished way earlier (it was half the size of the turkey, duh.) That caused some amusing scrambling with rotisserie removal/reinstallation.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
Wow!

I've spun twin chickens a few times and it's ridiculous how easy it is to cook that way, once you have them trussed of course. I once did a duck and a turkey ... bad idea; the duck finished way earlier (it was half the size of the turkey, duh.) That caused some amusing scrambling with rotisserie removal/reinstallation.

Well, this was a chicken and a duck... both came out done at the same time... perfect!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
Those birds all look delicious! Is the lid thermometer used to measure the grill temp when doing a roti cook?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
Those birds all look delicious! Is the lid thermometer used to measure the grill temp when doing a roti cook?

Yes, that'll get you in a ballpark. Every once in a while stop it and stick it with an instant-read, or use a Meater to monitor? https://meater.com

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Rotisserie Help or Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
What's better than a chicken on the spit?

Two of them!
[emoji16]

Yessir!

And spinning two birds solves the counterweight issue @jdorn brought up in the other thread. Just put one of the spit breast side up; the other breast side down. Instantly balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
Alternate use for your rotisserie ring: I drilled holes in mine about 2" down from the top, and added stainless steel screws to hold a cooking grate. I like to cook direct over high heat, but far enough over the heat that everything doesn't char up on me. I also use it as a smoker setup and cook everything from brisket & ribs to nekkid fatties.

I use mine more than I don't.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 02:23:54 PM »
That's effin brilliant.

For a second I thought you were going to say you drilled holes/slots and turned it into a dual-purpose skewer accessory.

Daddy really wants one of the old shish kebab rings ... covered skewers FTW.