Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 2894 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:03:03 AM »
Jules, that looks good. But Google doesn't seem sure it's really a product.

Got link? Thanks!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Jules, that looks good. But Google doesn't seem sure it's really a product.

Got link? Thanks!
It's a product  that's been modified  that's why Google is not aware of its existence.  It's a 21" convex comal i picked up for $15 at a thrift shop. Amazon is currently out of stock of the similar item. The link below is the thread for the build.
Poortex/vortex drip pan
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=63141&share_tid=34902&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweberkettleclub%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D34902&share_type=t

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 11:04:55 AM »
Just go here and order one. The real deal... he handles them...

www.madhunkymeats.com
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
oops, sorry... brainfart...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
Just go here and order one. The real deal... he handles them...

www.madhunkymeats.com
Sounds like you might be the owner of Vortex.  Not an owner so i can't really speak about it's magical properties.  I just stick to homemade charcoal holder with the sides being fully vertical instead of a conical shape.  If need be, i can easily fabricate a Vortex clone with the exact dimensions while using  a much better material  such as 16 -14 gauge  304 stainless sheet.  Haven't done it because i doubt the shape of the Vortex add much, if any benifits. Having said that, I'll buy or make one once i see a scientific test proving it's claimed advantages over a standard weber charcoal holder, homemade poortex etc.  What i would like to see is the actual temperature at 1" above the grill grate and with a distance of between 2"-4" to the wall of the bowl, which is the area that matters the most while cooking wings.   Judging the actual temperature based on the lid thermometer is misleading especially if the thermometer is located on the handle since the Vortex channels a narrower concentrated heat toward the center before it flows down towards the grate area as a result of natural convection.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
tl:dr

One word: "venturi effect"

Ok that's two words, you're welcome.

:)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
It's great that you have the material, tools, and skills, @Jules V, to fabricate a Vortex from scratch.  Really, I mean that. 

But the vaaaaaast majority of us do not have all three, so that is not an option for most of us.  There are a lot of us Vortex user here and (I think) most of us feel like we get a pretty good result from it, particularly on chicken wings.  There are also a lot of "poor-tex" users who , I think, feel about the same.  Finally, there a bunch of members who just use the two charcoal baskets in the middle, and, guess what, they feel like they a getting pretty dang good wings, too.

Can I prove, scientifically, that the radiating (IR) effect of the cone makes a difference?  Hell no, I wouldn't even know where to begin.  Just for starters, how do make sure that, scientifically, you have the exact same amount of charcoal, with the same dampness, in each experiment?  I have no idea ! ! !

Fortunately, I do not have to wait, I already have a Vortex, and, do I feel that it's a valuable, if limited, part of of cooking "arsenal"? 

Hell yes ! ! !

(If you do the experiment, I will, excitedly, look forward to reading the results.)

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 05:07:39 PM »
tl:dr

One word: "venturi effect"

Ok that's two words, you're welcome.

:)
Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal given the area and volume of a kettle. For one, stainless steel, especially that thin will radiate quite a bit of heat through the walls.  Two, you have a vessel that is open on the bottom, and has open space all around it,,, so no real vortex effect because air is free to move all around the appliance.