« on: March 28, 2018, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks to Neil. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Couldn’t wait to clean my sj or make changes. Putting it straight to work

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: Mini
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »
So do you know of a good pot to use for a mini that doesn’t require crimping for the lid to fit?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »

So do you know of a good pot to use for a mini that doesn’t require crimping for the lid to fit?

I bought this from Neil_VT00. I think he bought the standard imusa 32 qt tamale pot with metal lid. He had to shape the top lip a little to make the lid fit well it looks like. Also he cut the bottom and cut the metal lid and attached it to the bottom of the pot to give the pot a lip to make it more secure to the bowl. Really a perfect job.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 05:11:56 PM »
There was a link in another thread to a imusa pot with glass lid that another member posted and said no modification was necessary to make the lid fit.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »
This. Is a badass cooker Neil. Your handy work was perfect. I cooked 6 pork chops on 2 levels. I used a charcoal grate from an 18 for the lower level. It’s the same size as a sj cook grate. 1/2 chimney held 325 with all vents open. They were incredible pork chops. This thing could cook 2 chickens or 2 pork butts or whatever. What a great mod for a simple sj. My mind is blown. It far exceeded my expectations.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:19:50 PM »
I had a brand new weber wsm thermometer mounted to the center section but the piece of crap read 50 degrees to low right from the start. I had to use my trusty old weber thermo.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:53:15 AM »

You should make one. There are a couple detailed guides on here and the virtual weber forum. I can’t wait to test out a longer cook.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:10:15 AM »
I'm thrilled that it's getting some good use.  Thanks for the update.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 01:00:42 PM »
There was a link in another thread to a imusa pot with glass lid that another member posted and said no modification was necessary to make the lid fit.

Yep, I've made a few and they all fit.  Save the knob off the lid and toss the glass is what I did.  I guess you could repurpose it.

I've also done a couple that the lip was too big for a SJ lid.   Just center the lid as best you can and trace around the lid with a sharpie.  15 minutes with a dremmel and you're in business.  Easy peasy.