Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Limited Edition Performer  (Read 17603 times)

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
Re: Red Limited Edition Performer
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
More info on what you do for the ignition wires and gas hardware to a Gen 2? Just picked one up myself. Looks like you bought new assemblies and used wire loom.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 05:21:44 PM »
More info on what you do for the ignition wires and gas hardware to a Gen 2? Just picked one up myself. Looks like you bought new assemblies and used wire loom.
Those are all existing assemblies that came with the performer table. The high heat wire loom came from a scrapped Genesis.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »
Wow!!!!  Great mod @Jules V.   I have had my Red LE since November and still haven't cooked on it.  Also have a newer Copper Premium that I haven't cooked on.  I'm not necessarily trying to keep them mint, I just have enough grills so not need to dirty up the new ones.  One thing I've noticed about the taller new grills is that they are top heavy and will fall over when rolling them around easier than older grills.  I think I am going to do your mod to put my Red LE in one of my SSP's.  I already have Zavod custom handles and bale rollers on it, so it would look awesome in my SSP frame!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2018, 09:02:12 AM »
Wow!!!!  Great mod @Jules V.   I have had my Red LE since November and still haven't cooked on it.  Also have a newer Copper Premium that I haven't cooked on.  I'm not necessarily trying to keep them mint, I just have enough grills so not need to dirty up the new ones.
Thanks Mike. But as I've mentioned before, my LE is actually a very basic  & straightforward mod, a majority of us here can execute. Mostly drilling and a some cutting/grinding etc. Aside from that I'm very happy with the outcome. Had such low expectations of the LE but now has become my  favorite daily cooker along with the grass green. The grill came of the box almost flawless except for a small enamel run inside the bowl. Unlike the majority of the members here, I'm not a collector. One thing I require of my bowls and lids is that it needs to be flawless.
If you ever decide to mount the LE into a frame, just send me PM if you need some tips. Wanted to mount the LE on the ssp at first but i already have a red N code  ssp so i decided on the gen2 hybrid.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
Hey Jules I know you have said or shown before but do you use normal stainless nuts and washers in the inside of the kettle or do you use a split washer or any locking type hardware?  I would like to re-work one of my tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Red Limited Edition Performer
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
I'll PM you the details later.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:14:07 PM by Jules V. »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Hey Jules I know you have said or shown before but do you use normal stainless nuts and washers in the inside of the kettle or do you use a split washer or any locking type hardware?  I would like to re-work one of my tacos.
Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I just use a ss 1 1/4" fender washer and bolt inside the bowl. Don't have to worry about the bolt coming loose because if you'll be able to make the bolt very tight without having to worry about damaging the porcelain. The key here is to slightly deform the washers to follow the contour of the lid. Place the washers on a 2"x4" and very gently tap the center with a ball peen hammer.  Make some adjustments if necessary. Also make sure to sand and polish the washers to eliminate any sharp/jagged edges that may come into contact with the lid. I don't use a split washer because it will put too much strain toward the center of the large washer.

1" fender washer placed between taco shell n lid. Trimmed and rounded on the outside to keep flush with the taco shell. You'll see it on the next photo.

This is how it look like with the trimmed washer.

Washer is barely visible and doesn't look out of place.

1 1/2" fender washer to spread out the strain created by the nut n bolt.

This photo is for reference only. It's not the actual carriage bolt. Trimming one side allows the bolt to be installed very close to the vertical portion of the strap. Just trim enough material as necessary until the bolt slides in the strap hole and sits flush.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:45:13 PM by Jules V. »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
Minor updates. Tool holder, weber badge and retractable propane tank hose.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 04:38:45 PM by Jules V. »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
Just today I was wondering how to coil up a hose like that.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
This is what I want to do w my new LE red but don’t have a damn cart....
Poses a slight problem...

Vinny

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2018, 03:27:16 PM »
This is what I want to do w my new LE red but don’t have a damn cart....
Poses a slight problem...

Vinny
Come get some[emoji3]

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
I really dig this mod.  I had thought about it myself but remembered there were no more bowl mounts to be had.

Congrats on a really sweet grill!!!  Well done on the conversion!
Bowl mounts are everywhere. You just have to make them yourself out of a 11 or 12 gauge ss plate.   It's just pia and time consuming  if you don't have the proper tools.  Fortunately i have access  to bowl mounts. A local wkc  member who wants to remain anonymous made a bunch of sets for me.

Anyone happen to have a template?

Why not just grind off the tabs on a donor bowl?  That's what I plan to do. 
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
I'll PM you the details later.

JUst curious why the midget?  Do you sit and cook?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 06:14:36 AM »
@zavod44

Ok, very clean, looks cool.  But how tall are you? Forgive me, but it doesn't look to be the most ergonomically correct grill.  My back aches just thinking about bending over to use it.  Nice work none the less.

I'm 5'6" but i prefer my arms pointed almost straight down  instead  of horizontal  position. while holding the tongs etc.   All 4 of my gen2 are 24 1/2" and 3 ssp at 26".
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch