Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri-tip  (Read 851 times)

Rondo

• WKC Brave
Tri-tip
« on: December 10, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Have not tried a tri-tip yet. Heard a lot about them. Any tips for the tip would be great.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tri-tip
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
My standard go too is McCormick roasted garlic seasoning, with coffee.  Approx 1/2 cup of McCormick mixed with tbsp of your favorite ground coffee bean, per tritip. Rub into meat thouroghly. Put on grill until approx 110-120. Take off and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice across grain thinly, and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
Tri tips are a really good cut of meat to serve to groups.  Because of their triangular shape, you end up with some well done pieces at the narrow end and rare to medium rare in the middle and larger end. I marinate mine for 3 days in Chakas MMM Original Sauce.  I cook them indirect using some mesquite chunks until internal temp reaches 115 degrees.  I remove them from the grill and let them rest for 10 minutes wrapped in aluminum foil.  After the rest, I sear them over direct coals until internal temp reaches 132-135 degrees.  They can be cut and served without having to further rest them.

If preferred, you can also sear them first for about 1 to 2 minutes per side then move them to indirect until internal temp reaches about 120-125 degrees.  Then let them rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing.  The trick is to slice the meat against the grain as in the photo below. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 07:34:22 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
I didn’t use my standard on this, but same cooking time and method.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »
Your signature says your from Texas. I don’t think you are allowed to admit you haven’t tried tri tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »
Your signature says your from Texas. I don’t think you are allowed to admit you haven’t tried tri tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ha I'm guilty of that as well. Brisket seems to be the most common here, I had never heard of tri tip before joining here and have yet to come across it in any of the grocery stores. I keep an eye out for it and really want to give it a shot but I feel like I may have to find an actual meat market or butcher to get one

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 06:37:41 AM »
Maybe ask the meat department at your local grocery. They might order some to see how they sell. Your local Costco should have them...or sams club?

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 07:15:50 AM »
I discovered tri tip here a couple years ago. The family loves them. I have not marinated them before, just reverse seared with an oak chunk for smoke and salt, pepper and granulated garlic for a rub. This thread got me hungry for one again, so I just pulled one out of the freezer and am trying an overnight marinade of soy sauce, olive oil, water and ground pepper. Google Santa Maria tri tip for all kinds of ideas.

Partagas

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 08:37:47 AM »
Tri tip is awesome. Low and slow with your favorite wood and rub. Cant go wrong with it.