Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Double Decker Chicken  (Read 836 times)

Donald McRonald

• Smokey Joe
Double Decker Chicken
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »

There are two options to cook Double Decker Chicken.

Double Decker Chicken Option#1

This option is slightly more ambitious and may attract unwanted – some may say unnecessary attention which may lead to an encounter with law enforcement.

Firstly you will need to board a double decker bus. It is preferable to board one with an open top like the one pictured, an enclosed top level may cause significant harm or even death. You will be boarding with your kettle so a double handed bowl will make the job much easier. Put all your lighting and cooking material inside the bowl. Whatever doesn’t fit can easily be put in a backpack along with the chicken. While boarding the bus you might be confronted by an annoyingly quizzical bus driver. You can try using some charm, act like you don’t speak the language or simply hand him a bribe – do whatever is necessary because if you don’t get on the bus you won’t be cooking double decker chicken option #1.

Once you are on the bus make your way to the top level. Set up the kettle somewhere convenient. There may be some stares along with murmuring but don’t take much notice, as from here it’s going to get much worse. Time to light the fire: you will need a chimney starter, lighter cubes, a lighter and fuel. Now for all the briquette users this is where the fun begins. You thought it gets smoky in your backyard – wait till you light up a chimney on a double decker bus..oh boy!

As plumes of smoke bellow out from the chimney, commuters may now become restless and slightly more vocal. There may even be aggression present. Don’t despair. If people are approaching you or threatening to throw projectiles towards you, grab the kettle lid and use it as a shield. If you are lucky enough to have a pull out thermometer on the lid you can also use this to ward off any advances.

If you have somehow managed to get the charcoal ashed over without being thrown off the bus (literally thrown off – right over the top level) or having been arrested then you can proceed to cook the chicken. Now I must confess, I have never made it to this point myself so take my next instructions as a guide only. Place the chicken on the cooking grate in the centre and put the lid on. Take a seat on the top deck, enjoy the scenery and just relax.  A word of advice: if at any stage law enforcement has surrounded you guns drawn, do not use the kettle lid as a shield – the kettle lid is not bullet proof and Weber customer service does not replace bullet ridden lids. After around an hour chicken should be done, check with thermometer to make sure (that’s if you’re still alive). Cut chicken into quarters and enjoy double decker chicken option number one.

Double Decker Chicken Option #2

I start with a 2kg whole chicken. I cut the chicken into two halves; this makes it much easier to handle on the grill. Once the chicken halves are flattened I poke some holes throughout the chicken halves and dry brine overnight with just ordinary salt. I put the chicken in an enclosed container; you can leave uncovered if you want to.

I light up enough coal to fill two charcoal baskets plus another 10-15 which are spread out directly under the chicken. I place a cooking grate in the normal position and then place a flipped over cooking grate on top of that. This is where the nickname double decker chicken comes from. By doing this I’m raising the cooking height so the direct heat does not burn the chicken. I like cooking chicken with a combination of direct heat and indirect heat. I believe it gives the chicken a little more “bbq” flavour – plus I love hearing that sound when the fat drips on the coals and that smell mmm....

Before I put the chickens on, I lightly dust with lemon pepper seasoning and chilli powder. You can use any seasoning you want but be gentle. Skin side up and directly over the centralised coals.

I start checking at the 20 minute mark. If the chicken is sticking to the grate wait another 5 minutes. Then flip the chicken over. Baste chicken with favourite liquid. I love a simple piri piri concoction: 10 small red hot peppers (thai hot peppers are ideal), 6 garlic cloves, zest from one lemon and juice – same amount white vinegar and salt. Throw all ingredients in a blender and waz it up. Baste as desired and flip once skin darkens. Keep basting and flip a few more times to cook both basted sides of the chicken halves.

After an hour chicken should be temp ready but I like a little more char so I leave it on for a few more minutes. One final layer of piri piri if you like and serve.
 I usually cook chicken on the rotisserie but sometimes I like being more involved flipping and basting and it tastes great too.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Double Decker Chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 05:25:05 AM »
Ooh, tough call on this one. Option #2 looks better, but Option #1 sounds way more fun.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch