Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beginner Trying Again  (Read 1930 times)

chasnasty5943

• Smokey Joe
Beginner Trying Again
« on: February 25, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »
Hey all!!!

Ok, so some background, had a performer with gas assist.  Loved all the features.  Could do the low and slow thing pretty well, rotisserie thing worked great Problem was with straight grilling so sold it and went back to propane (gasp).  I would like to try again, yet are hesitant due to previous.  I know dump coals on one side, make a two-zone fire ect, ect, I just seemed to come out with way overdone food on the surface and raw inside. 

Any advice, links, videos that could be suggested?  I'd love to do charcoal over propane, I grew up on propane so I know it, looking to expand. 

Even as basic as what vent does what?  How long after dumping coals from chimney till you cook?

A video I watched recently has installed another thermometer near vent due to vent usually being over food, makes sense, does it help?

Thanks in advance

Charlie H

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Beginner Trying Again
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
Sounds like maybe ya just used too many coals...Depending on what you're cooking less than a whole chimney will do...
Other than that just don't be in a hurry...Let the fire settle in and use the bottom vents to control airflow...

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:25:56 PM »
weber.com has a "mastering basics" section on their website...you might start there for straight up grilling. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:35:23 PM »
Ok tip 1 grab a beer

Tip 2 make sure you have more beer , charcoal can’t be rushed if you are looking for a quickie the by all means king of the hill it .

Tip 3 have another beer while lighting your coals as you must please the grill gods as you embark on the cook

Tip 4 refer tip 1

Tip 5 let your coals completely ash over while you enjoy tip 1 but this can take awhile depending on wind, your chimney ect so refer back to tip 1 a few times

Drop ya coals in give them the time for tip 1 and then put the lid on an let it settle while you enjoy another tip 1

By now you should be pretty shit faced and ready to cook anything

If ur new a temp gauge will help but try the back of ur hand near the coals 3s bloody hot 5-6 medium 10 is round low and slow

At this point grab another beer

And go for it

But take ya time

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:38:03 PM »
Lol that Weber site is like watching paint dry , watch @Troys vid ull pick it up

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:36:00 AM »
amazingribs.com is another great resource. Don't get discouraged from bad results, it's just part of the learning process. I even made some really dry chicken breasts last week :P
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

auto180sx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Seconding amazingribs.com!

Just a reminder, this takes practice. Look at mistakes as a learning experience so you can do better next time.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 03:01:05 AM »
Hey all!!!

Ok, so some background, had a performer with gas assist.  Loved all the features.  Could do the low and slow thing pretty well, rotisserie thing worked great Problem was with straight grilling so sold it and went back to propane (gasp).  I would like to try again, yet are hesitant due to previous.  I know dump coals on one side, make a two-zone fire ect, ect, I just seemed to come out with way overdone food on the surface and raw inside. 

Any advice, links, videos that could be suggested?  I'd love to do charcoal over propane, I grew up on propane so I know it, looking to expand. 

Even as basic as what vent does what?  How long after dumping coals from chimney till you cook?

A video I watched recently has installed another thermometer near vent due to vent usually being over food, makes sense, does it help?

Thanks in advance

Charlie H

I generally use 3/4 of a chimney full and light it and wait til the coals have half ashed over and I can see the flames coming out the top of the chimney. 

Then dump it onto the charcoal grill and close the lid on my Weber kettle for 10 minutes (I time it!) whilst adjusting the top and bottom vents to get a constant 250C  degrees.

Then put the food on (indirect heat) and attach the thermometer and close the lid and let it all cook until its ready.

:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 12:43:48 AM by deans6571 »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:32:05 AM »
You don’t have to utilize a 2 zone set up. You can also spread the coals out and grill.  The lid controls flare ups. It all depends what your cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
Ok tip 1 grab a beer

Tip 2 make sure you have more beer , charcoal can’t be rushed if you are looking for a quickie the by all means king of the hill it .

Tip 3 have another beer while lighting your coals as you must please the grill gods as you embark on the cook

Tip 4 refer tip 1

Tip 5 let your coals completely ash over while you enjoy tip 1 but this can take awhile depending on wind, your chimney ect so refer back to tip 1 a few times

Drop ya coals in give them the time for tip 1 and then put the lid on an let it settle while you enjoy another tip 1

If ur new a temp gauge will help but try the back of ur hand near the coals 3s bloody hot 5-6 medium 10 is round low and slow

And go for it

But take ya time

Lol that is funny as hell. Right after work I’ll try tip #1
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:33:06 AM »

Ok tip 1 grab a beer

Tip 4 refer tip 1

And go for it

But take ya time

Lol that is funny as hell. Right after work I’ll try tip #1

It’s the best way to cook , I always wing it sometimes you win sometimes u lose

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:10 AM »
Lol example my rotisserie kfc haha tasted ok but the big man doesn’t like a spin

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
Crazy thought but when my time is up I reckon being cremated on the Weber and ashes buried in it would suit me fine . Lol it’s my birthday today probably should find my birth year kettle for this (1980) and go down in a blaze of smoke and fire . Reckon I’d give a good bark too. Ruff ruff

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 10:58:25 PM »
Happy birthday! I hope that you have a great day.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:00:21 PM by Jon »

MauroBBQ

• WKC Brave
    • Mauro's BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:53:45 AM »
@Fire Starter

Gracias (Thank You)
For the Tips 1 to 5
Wont wait for weekend to try them out...
Going to OXXO (corner store at my home town)
=]
22" Performer - SJG:N code - GA: P code - Weber Q 1000 - Weber Q 2000 - WSM 22"
Youtube page: Mauro's BBQ
email: maurobbq73@gmail.com