Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A 14" WSM Purchase Question  (Read 2451 times)

neocacher

• Smokey Joe
A 14" WSM Purchase Question
« on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:50 AM »
Last week I picked up a Performer Deluxe at clearance price ($239) at a local Lowe's.  I have grilled a few times on it so far.  Bacon and Eggs(  twice), steak, steak and shrimp kabobs, grilled potatoes w/ onions and peppers, asparagus, and chicken breast filets.  I really like it a lot to be sure. 

My question is this:  My local Walmart has the 14" WSM on sale for $139, and I was wondering if I should buy it or just pass.  At this point I dont want to spend $299 for an 18" or $399 for a 22 inch. As far as picking up a used one locally, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.  Where I live, our population is so low, that nothing ever seems to come up on craigs list.

So,  is the 14" usable for a family of 2 or should I just smoke on my Performer?  Thanks for the advice!

Stephen

[attachment deleted by admin]

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: A 14" WSM Purchase Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
@neocacher , where you located?
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

neocacher

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »
@varekai    I live in South Dakota

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:01:48 AM »
Have all 3 WSM’s. The 14 will cook more than people will think. I’ve done 9 lb butt , chicken , beef ribs , ribs ( cut in half ), whole chicken . Easily feed 4 people with it. One chimney of Weber charcoal got me 14 hours of burn time. The 14 is my favorite cooker

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »
I use my 14 all the time for my family of 4. I'd say go for it.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:19:41 PM »
@neocacher , bummer, I'd say get it and I'll trade you for an 18".. but shipping prohibits.  But I'd say get it, and keep looking online, I just picked up my 3rd 18" WSM a couple days ago.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
I'm very happy with my 14.5".  Typical cook for me is 4-6 people.  Using racks I've done 4 racks of ribs at a time which can feed 8 if a half rack is enough for each person.  I've done two 10 pound pork butts which was enough for a party of 20.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:31 PM »
I bought an 18 before the other sizes were made available and absolutely love it.  Having said that, I bought a 14 a couple of years ago on clearance at Walmart for $90.  It has quickly become my go to smoker for everything but brisket for my family of 4 + a few guests.  It is a great little smoker and as @wessonjb said, people underestimate it all the time!  It can cook a ton of good stuff!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 04:36:32 AM »
I use my 14" WSM for my wife and I as well as when we have a few friends over.  I've cooked 4 racks of ribs at a time in mine.  It's tight and you have to use a rack but it works just fine.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:37:42 AM »

... Where I live, our population is so low, that nothing ever seems to come up on craigs list. ...

Stephen, Facebook's built-in Marketplace is where to look, especially if you're rural although you may need to drive a while.

I've found several interesting unused (but damaged/missing a couple parts) Webers that way, often from people who have become liquidators (places like Amazon or Target will sell them pallets of mystery items that were returned or damaged for very cheap). I got lucky last year with a new 14.5" WSM, complete and undamaged, for a great price.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »
I prefer to smoke in my small 14.5" wsm for smaller but long cooks as it holds temp for a long time without having to fiddle with it. I say it's worth the sale price in terms of enjoyment. You can wait months of years to (maybe) save a few bucks or you can get that new one on clearance for a lot less effort and use it right away.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
Love my sj mini. It will be my go to for a lot of smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app