Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Foolproof kahlua Hawaiian pulled pork.  (Read 2338 times)

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Foolproof kahlua Hawaiian pulled pork.
« on: February 13, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Having previously lived  in Hawaii for more than 15 years, i developed a taste for kahlua pulled pork. Nothing fancy it's just straight up coarse salt and cracked black pepper.  Smoking it using the SnS  with apple chunks at 230F for 3 1/2 hours. Will transfer it later in a cast iron  stock pot lined with unpeeled garlic and onion quarters and finish it cooking it for 4 more hours.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Foolproof kahlua Hawaiian pulled pork.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
That sounds good. I like salt and pepper only ribs and pork butt. I haven’t tried braising in garlic and onion though. Do you add any liquid?  I don’t have a porcelain Dutch oven but maybe I could try the crock pot for the same effect?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Foolproof kahlua Hawaiian pulled pork.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 03:37:52 PM »
That sounds good. I like salt and pepper only ribs and pork butt. I haven’t tried braising in garlic and onion though. Do you add any liquid?  I don’t have a porcelain Dutch oven but maybe I could try the crock pot for the same effect?

No liquid at all. You wouldn't  believe how much liquid will be generated from the meat itself even after more than 3 hours of smoking. I'll take a photo later to show how much liquid will end up at the cast iron pot. The garlic and onion at the bottom will add flavor to the meat. You can also add whole black pepper. I don't own a crock pot but I'm sure it would work. One thing I've noticed is  that if i use a stainless pan to finish it off in the grill, there's a lot less liquid that's generated. I guess it evaporates much faster on the thinner material. The cast iron just retain much more moisture. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:59:25 PM by Jules V. »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
Preheated the pot in the oven for 30 minutes with unpeeled garlic, whole black pepper, onion quarters and Leeks.

Placed the pork butt in the pot after smoking it for 3 3/4 hours.

3-4 more hours in the pot at 300F.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:36 PM »
Looks great. I think the Dutch oven is a great idea because those in those last 4 hours (no matter how long you cook it), you can loose some great liquid off a big pork like that! What was your final internal temp?
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
Awesome!  I have a regular Dutch oven. I will have to try this. I know what you mean about the juice. I’ve done nearly the same thing in a pan wrapped tightly and there is a ton of juice. Can’t wait to see the results.  Thanks for sharing.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »
What was your final internal temp?
I'm planning to take it off the grill once it hits 200-205F.  Drain the liquid, put the cover back on, and let sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Sounds good! I have trouble getting it to that temp in 8 hours. Maybe the kettle helps with  that. Enjoy!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:01 PM »
After 4 1/2 hrs in the dutch oven.   205F internal temperature.

Bone pulled off cleanly.

Not much smoke ring but since it was finished cooking in the dutch oven, the smoke flavor was evenly spread throughout the meat.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 03:23:37 AM »
Wow that looks amazing!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
Wow, I need to try that. Thanks for sharing!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
This method works great on rib roast or chuck roast also. Really hard to mess it up. Don't have to worry about having a stall or drying out the meat. You're more likely to cook the meat too soft and mushy if you leave it on the dutch oven too long. For pork butt, i prefer to have some texture so typically 4 hrs in the dutch oven gets me to a 200-205F internal temperature. I've done it for 6 hrs but the meat  loses texture and gets too soft/mushy for my taste. Also if you prefer more bark on the meat, just smoke it at a higher temperature between 265-275F. For very large size of meat, just cut it in half to speed up smoking/cooking time.  Another thing is that if you're using a cast iron dutch oven, make sure it has been preheated to 225-275F when you place the meat.      Lining the bottom of the dutch oven with herbs/spices/aromatics is optional. Sometimes i only use whole black pepper.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »
That looks Amazing ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Great advice on preheating the dutch oven.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
Is this like the pork served at Luaus?