Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Serious Eats Peking Duck  (Read 874 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Serious Eats Peking Duck
« on: February 12, 2018, 04:03:55 PM »
Since I like duck, I thought I'd try their beer can recipe out. I used maple syrup instead of honey or the authentic sugar they specified.

The duck is on the barbecue now. I saved some of the sauce to baste it with later on. I ended up putting the rotisserie ring on to get enough vertical height because the duck standing on end was banging into the lid. We'll see how it goes. If the beer can doesn't work out well, I'll adapt the recipe to the rotisserie.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Serious Eats Peking Duck
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »
Can't wait for an update. Just be careful not to burn the wings and legs.  You should wrap it with foil for the first 2/3 of the cook duration.  You should also score the skin.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:29:42 PM by Jules V. »

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Re: Serious Eats Peking Duck
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:47 PM »
This is the first time I've done beer can anything.  Normally when I do dicks or whole chickens, they're on the rotisserie. In the case of ducks, I prick the skin all over with a steak knife and that's worked well. This time, I lifted the skin off the meat and then scaled it with hot water as their recipe calls for. A lot of fat collected in the tray under the beer can roaster - this will be set aside for drying things.

Here's a picture of the duck resting. The taste test will be interesting. I might end up using their glaze but on the rotisserie instead if this doesn't work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 06:47:54 PM »
Looks great!  One thing about duck is that it has a lot of fat under the skin but yet much tougher than a chicken so therefore a bit more trickier to cook properly.

Larry The BBQ Guy

• WKC Brave
    • BBQitALL
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Salt or an acidic marinate will help crisp up and soften the skin. Looks great!
26" Orig. Premium Black, 22" Orig. black, 22" Jumbo Joe black, 14" Smokey Joe black. More to come.