Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Platinum One Touch project.  (Read 2391 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Platinum One Touch project.
« on: February 25, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »

Anyone have one in stock config. or even modded in some way? How do you like it?  I like to see how many of you have this platinum and if any modded.

I really like the lid bale style. Just push the lid back and it drops into the bale assy. Also, like the center lid vent with no handle on top and no front bowl handle. Nice and clean looking.

I've had few ideas to drop in 26" kettle, other colored 22" kettle, 22 WSM into mine, but I really like the stock lid config. I have few other ideas but like to see if anyone with these mods I mentioned as I have never seen one posted before.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:19:09 AM by greenweb »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Platinum One Touch.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:39:08 PM »
It's the first weber that i bought. My favorite part of the grill is the center vents.  Perfect for Vortex/poortex  as you get a very even throughout the perimeter. Side handle works great also as it is very easy to manipulate into the lid bale. Also it never gets hot being on the side.
A taco ots is probably the best candidate.  Just remove the handle and plug the  2 holes. Then attach a side handle.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 05:15:27 PM by Jules V. »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Platinum One Touch.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:42:54 PM »
I think they are one of the coolest weber did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
It's the first weber that i bought. My favorite part of the grill is the center vents.  Perfect for Vortex/poortex  as you get a very even throughout the perimeter. Side handle works great also as it is very easy to manipulate into the lid bale. Also it never gets hot being on the side.
A taco ots is probably the best candidate.  Just remove the handle and plug the  2 holes. Then attach a side handle.

Not a problem plugging 2 handle holes or drilling front handle holes but no center lid vent using color taco kettle kind of bothers me. I really like to stick to a stock center lid vent location. Plus, I really like the look of the stock none handle bowl. So, the front bowl handle will have to go too.

Thanks for your feedback Jules V.  Feedbacks from other platinum owners welcomed.

@LiquidOcelot - I think so too. I just need to change it up or make it cooler than stock.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:10:55 PM by greenweb »

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Platinum One Touch.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:58:03 AM »
Removing and concealing the handle/s on an ots or okp/otg kettle is the easy part. I've mounted a couple of okp and deviced a mod to somewhat conceal the chopped off handle as pictured below. The center vent is another story. There's just no way around it since no other kettle comes with a center vents.  Offset vents on a platinum just don't look right.  You will not be able to achieve a symmetrical or a  clean look that you're after.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:03:15 AM by Jules V. »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 06:04:22 AM »
@greenweb

Sorry. No pics. They won't show you anything other than a larger bowl on that frame.

Mounting the bowl was pretty simple. Just gotta drill 2 holes in the bowl. You will loose the lid bale. The one on the OTP is attached to the side tables and neither lid bale will fit with the larger bowl installed. The side tables will act as the bale when tilting the lid up but will not allow the lid to open as wide as a proper lid bale setup.

If you have an older 26r with WLS this is a good mod. The added stability is a major selling point of this mod, but the loss of the lid bale is a bit annoying. I never got around to solving that issue cuz I sold the bowl to another member building a double wide 26r SS. A cover won't fit either.

If I did this again I would transfer the OTP front handle to the 26r lid. And figure out a lid bale. I'd say I was 75% happy with the way I had it. Hope that helps a little.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 03:29:28 PM »
@MINIgrillin - Thank you for your input. It helps a lot. At this point, I am not sure if I want to drop in 26" into this frame sorting out lid bale setup. I do have another idea to drop 26" into a performer frame that I have never seen done before so maybe I will do that in the future.

@Jules V. - "Offset vents on a platinum just don't look right. You will not be able to achieve a symmetrical or a  clean look that you're after."  So true! I was thinking the same thing.

Will be working on this project soon. Thank you both.

My starting point.

Mar. 3

Few options considered.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:33:24 AM by greenweb »