Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Carolina reaper poppers/ how to make them pop  (Read 1371 times)

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
Carolina reaper poppers/ how to make them pop
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:12:55 AM »
Ok people these bad boys are starting to turn and I’m looking for a real pop !  Have done poppers before (jalapeños) but I’m looking for something different

Chilli [emoji892] is my first love at 1 point had over 300 plants [emoji104] but u know women any way

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
Re: Carolina reaper poppers/ how to make them pop
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:24:19 AM »
I miss my habanero plants [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Carolina reaper poppers/ how to make them pop
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 04:23:17 AM »
Most people here have no idea what the Carolina Reaper, 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion or any of those ultra mega hot peppers even are.

However, I used to grow mega hots a decade ago (Fatalli) but that was back when some of these strains hadn’t been created yet. I worked with a guy that did the first trials of Smokin’ Ed’s peppers (one of which would become the Reaper) so I’m familiar with it.

Anyway...my suggestions would be...

Half them/freeze them in vac bags or dehydrate if they are really starting to go.

For poppers, I would probably do a very fine mince of a few Reapers and  mix them with the cream cheese. Then add that cream cheese to a large jalapeño as usual and make a popper that way.

The shape and thickness of that pepper will prove difficult in making it a proper vessel for a popper. But practice and see how it goes.

Good luck!

P.S. Wear nitrile gloves ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:09:08 AM »

Most people here have no idea what the Carolina Reaper, 7 Pot, Trinidad Scorpion or any of those ultra mega hot peppers even are.

However, I used to grow mega hots a decade ago (Fatalli) but that was back when some of these strains hadn’t been created yet. I worked with a guy that did the first trials of Smokin’ Ed’s peppers (one of which would become the Reaper) so I’m familiar with it.

Anyway...my suggestions would be...

Half them/freeze them in vac bags or dehydrate if they are really starting to go.

For poppers, I would probably do a very fine mince of a few Reapers and  mix them with the cream cheese. Then add that cream cheese to a large jalapeño as usual and make a popper that way.

The shape and thickness of that pepper will prove difficult in making it a proper vessel for a popper. But practice and see how it goes.

Good luck!

P.S. Wear nitrile gloves ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Fire Starter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 05:14:43 AM »
I normally eat these raw, douglahs rock my world and as u said fatalli make great mayo[emoji108] I like ur idea but I want them to be the star . They r bigger than they look in thenpic

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:09:46 AM »
I get what you're saying.

The biggest issue with these peppers is the walls are very thin. Meaning they will cook down much more than a jalapeno. As I recall, they don't have many seeds, and you needn't worry about removing the membrane.

A few suggestions:

1) Practice. You have enough peppers to play with. Take 20 and split them into groups of 4 or 5 and try a few different techniques.

2) Since the walls are thin and will lose structural integrity with high heat, you could try filling with something a little more stable than pure cream cheese. For example, 2 parts chopped bacon to 1 part cream cheese.

or

3) Leave them whole, batter them (include some mega hot powder in the batter if you're feeling that) and cook them indirect with a vortex or SNS. I would either cook them on a small moveable rack, a small pan, or maybe a little bit of foil with cooking spray. You might get some sticking on the grate (even with oil). But try it and see what works best.

Good luck!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:09:06 AM »
*drool*

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.