Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hot 'n Fast Ribs  (Read 1329 times)

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Hot 'n Fast Ribs
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »
Taking my first run at Hot n' Fast ribs.  It's also the first time I've cooked babybacks in a long time.  This will not be a true Hot ‘n Fast because I’ll be cooking in two phases.  Sunday I cook dinner for my mom & dad and whatever family shows up.  So I’ll be starting the ribs at home and finishing them over there.

We’re on the 26er with the original SnS.  I’m also using my “Upper Deck,” a 22.5 WSM grate with some carriage bolts.

Here they after about an hour.  I've got a pit probe on the lower grate and also one in the vent so that I can, hopefully, track the temps for both cooking levels.  I just hit them with apple juice spritz and swapped the upper rack with one of the ones on the lower grate.

After giving all three racks some time on the "upper deck" I pulled them off, gave them another spritz, hit them with a little Big Dick's Rib Rub, and wrapped them in foil.  The upper deck was running between 350º to 375º.  The main grate stayed between 280º and 300º.

Then I packed them in cooler because these were for dinner at my parents' house (I cook dinner every weekend for them).

At 7:30 I put them (still foiled) in a 350º oven.  At 8:00, I pulled them so I could bring the oven up to 450º for tater tots.  While the tots were doing their thing, I glazed the ribs with that Big Red Glaze.  A little before 9:00, the ribs went back in for 10 minute so that the glaze could set.

So, not "true" Hot n' Fast, but still, it was 2½ hours in the Weber and then 30 minutes foiled in the oven.  I'm sure there was some carryover while they "rested" but I guess the most it would've taken in the oven was an hour.  So, maybe a total time of 3½ hours, and here's the result:

They came out very tender with the meat pulling cleanly off the bone . . . not fall of the bone.  They were a big hit with everyone.

I will being doing this again ! ! !

BD

The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hot 'n Fast Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
awesome cook I may show up next Sunday as a long lost brother @Big Dawg
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »
Just bring your own wet-naps ! ! !

Oh, and pull for the Eagles !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Looks delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 05:52:50 PM »
Wow those look delicious! For hot and fast ribs do you do a full chimney and fully open vents the whole time?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:48:23 AM »
No, I loaded up the SnS just like normal, I load up the SnS with briquettes leaving the one corner empty and light 12-15 briquettes in the small chimney.  I just kept the bottom vent about halfway open for most of the cook.  Even for that short a duration, though, I did add a scoop of charcoal partway through the cook.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy