Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Curious  (Read 1780 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Curious
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:23:05 PM »
Are all genesis natral gas? And what's the difference between propane and NG? Also what is needed to convert? I don't speak gasser

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:11:54 PM »
All models of webber gasses are/were offered in lp or NG models.   The main difference between the two is the size of the opening in the orifices on the burner manifold and side burner.  NG orifices have a larger diameter opening.

The safest way to convert is do a full manifold swap either from a donor grill or buying a manifold.  One difficulty here is that Weber won't sell you the manifold.

Another method is to replace the orifices with one's sized for what you want.  But, there are some issues here.   Weber used 2 different styles of valves.  One style is continuous where there is a channel in the valve that gets wider.  The other type has three holes, smallest being low setting, the largest being high.

Trying to remember which way this goes off the top of my head.  If going from NG to LP,  then there won't be much difference between low and high setting on a burner.   If going the other direction, from lp to NG, then low setting runs lower to the point where it could blow out.

To my knowledge, no one has identified or documented which model grills have which type of valves.   Best bet is to take a valve apart and see.

All the above said, I've converted 2 grills from NG to LP by swapping orifices and both worked fine.

Oh yeah, left out that when going from NG to lp, you'll need to get an lp regulator as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:34:39 AM »
All models of webber gasses are/were offered in lp or NG models.   The main difference between the two is the size of the opening in the orifices on the burner manifold and side burner.  NG orifices have a larger diameter opening.

The safest way to convert is do a full manifold swap either from a donor grill or buying a manifold.  One difficulty here is that Weber won't sell you the manifold.

Another method is to replace the orifices with one's sized for what you want.  But, there are some issues here.   Weber used 2 different styles of valves.  One style is continuous where there is a channel in the valve that gets wider.  The other type has three holes, smallest being low setting, the largest being high.

Trying to remember which way this goes off the top of my head.  If going from NG to LP,  then there won't be much difference between low and high setting on a burner.   If going the other direction, from lp to NG, then low setting runs lower to the point where it could blow out.

To my knowledge, no one has identified or documented which model grills have which type of valves.   Best bet is to take a valve apart and see.

All the above said, I've converted 2 grills from NG to LP by swapping orifices and both worked fine.

Oh yeah, left out that when going from NG to lp, you'll need to get an lp regulator as well.

Awesome info thank you. Is there any identifying marks to indicate which is witch?

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
@LiquidOcelot , a gas hose wont have the large plastic "nut" on the end like a propane hose has.  And most that I have seen have a really long hose attached.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
@LiquidOcelot , a gas hose wont have the large plastic "nut" on the end like a propane hose has.  And most that I have seen have a really long hose attached.
I'll have to check what mine has

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
Yeah, NG has a hose that's 10 ft or so.  LP hose is a couple of feet and has an acme nut to connect to lp tank.

Something to be careful of though is that some people "convert" simply by changing the hose, and that is dangerous.

On older open cart Weber grills that were LP, there's a tank hanger on the right side of the grill frame.  It's a flat wide hook and a scale.     On lp grills with enclosed carts, there's a big round hole for the tank to sit in the cart bottom.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Can you post several pics of the grill?

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »
Yeah, NG has a hose that's 10 ft or so.  LP hose is a couple of feet and has an acme nut to connect to lp tank.

Something to be careful of though is that some people "convert" simply by changing the hose, and that is dangerous.

On older open cart Weber grills that were LP, there's a tank hanger on the right side of the grill frame.  It's a flat wide hook and a scale.     On lp grills with enclosed carts, there's a big round hole for the tank to sit in the cart bottom.

Thanks I have deduced that it is indeed a l.p. I had 2 that I spliced pArts back and forth from checked my stock and both have a 2 foot hose with large plastic nut. And both have a scale on the right side (if your looking at the front of it)