Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Black or Red SSP?  (Read 2103 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
Black or Red SSP?
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I came across a 1990 Red SSP and picked it up for $60.  The cart is in very good shape, but the kettle had a small hole in it and the straps inside are somewhat weak due to rust.  As I went through the cleaning process, I found more rust where the straps were welded to the inside of the kettle.  The straps aren't at the point where they will fall off, but a couple of them are somewhat close to breaking if I bend the part that  holds the bottom grate.  I repaired the small hole with SS fender washers, but I was a little uneasy thinking this RH would be up to the task of being my primary kettle. 

I figured I'd call Weber just to see if they had any suggestions or what, if anything, they could do for me.  I called Weber CS and got a very knowledgeable female rep who was super familiar with the 1990 SSP.  She told me they didn't have any red replacements, but only black ones (of course).  I was about to say, "thank you" and hangup, when she asked me to hold a min so she could check my Weber ID.  Apparently, my Weber ID showed that I had 7 registered grills (many of them gassers, which I no longer have).  She then asked if I would mind if she did some shopping for me for a replacement kettle and that she would discount it for me.  After a few minutes, she offered me a new black kettle (lid & bottom), new ash catcher, lid bale, handle, thermometer, and hardware for about $134.  (I told her I already had grates and a new set of fins).  So, I went for it and I received it all in less than a week.

I decided to mount the new black one on the SS cart and build the Redhead as separate kettle.  I had an extra set of legs and triangle so I added those to the Red kettle and attached a brand new BBQ Dragon removable shelf I received for Xmas. 

I haven't cooked on either yet.  After moving the units around a little bit, I'm wondering if I should have it the other way around - Red on the table and Black on the legs.  I like the table on the cart, but I also like the quick and easy mobility of the legged unit and since I've got the shelf, do I really need the table?  I know, I can always switch them back.  I've got too much time on my hands....
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:35:11 PM by RemoGaggi »
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Black or Red SSP?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
That’s some great CS

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »
Looks like you have options. Switch them up every now and again until you find the combo you like. Enjoy them both! You have the best of both!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Black or Red SSP?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
I would keep the red on the ssp frame. Black kettles looks very nice and all but there are millions of them out there.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »
I would keep the red on the ssp frame. Black kettles looks very nice and all but there are millions of them out there.
X2 I like the idea of the bbq dragon side table to cover the mount tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

shamlax79

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »
The black ssp looks pretty awesome to me. Mean and clean look.

On another note, how do you like the bbq dragon shelf? I’m thinking about picking one up for my mastertouch. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
 nice problem to have , my vote is for the red on the ssp .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:21:44 PM by johnny 2 shack »

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »
I have a green SSP 1999
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »
You can’t go wrong either way but one answer to your questions is no you don’t need the table. I sold my performers and have cooked for a year without a table. Another kettle with a leg kit can be a table [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 07:57:25 PM »
Nothing wrong with a black ssp.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
On another note, how do you like the bbq dragon shelf? I’m thinking about picking one up for my mastertouch. 

I really like the BBQ Dragon Shelf.  It is very easy to attach and remove, it's very sturdy and folds up nicely.  It's also got 3 hooks at the end to hold utensils.  I have read online that some wondered how the lid fits and I can say I don't believe it affects the lid at all.  For $30, I really like it and would definitely recommend it.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:51:53 PM by RemoGaggi »

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »
So I put the red back on the table and then realized that the new black kettle doesn't have a handle and the leg sockets are oriented such that it will be a little caddywampus not matter what I do.  Being caddywampus was bugging me, so I switched em back up - black on the table, red with legs.  LOL.  Here it is before I switched them back. 

shamlax79

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 12:37:35 PM »

I really like the BBQ Dragon Shelf.  It is very easy to attach and remove, it's very sturdy and folds up nicely.  It's also got 3 hooks at the end to hold utensils.  I have read online that some wondered how the lid fits and I can say I don't believe it affects the lid at all.  For $30, I really like it and would definitely recommend it.

So I bought one but it didn’t come with the cables underneath that keep the shelf from folding out farther than it should. I emailed the company about and still waiting to hear back but if they fix that issue I think it’s going to be a great addition

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Sorry to hear you got a bad one.  Mine has the cables.  Hopefully they will fix it for you.