Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First lamb cook  (Read 688 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
First lamb cook
« on: December 28, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
Lots of firsts for me on this cook. First lamb, sub-freezing cook, using Kingsford Competition.

Aldi had rack of lamb for $10/lb so I picked up 2 racks. I haven't cooked lamb before but I knew that at least with racks that you don't want to over cook and it can easy to over cook because of how small the meat is. I tried cross referencing recipes online. Most were for the oven at high temperatures, but serious eats recommended sous vide at 125 for medium rare then finishing with a sear. So I took the lower temp approach. It was 20°F and falling so I decided to use Kingsford Competition for the high heat. Look at all those blue flames! You certainly don't get that with KBB.

Light the full chimney, bottom vent fully open, top vent barely open, and let the grill warm up. I did not trim the fat because there actually wasn't that thick of a fat cap. I also did not remove the silver skin. I used a basic herb rub with EVOO, salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley.

Put the lamb on indirect and the grill was about 300 and slowly went down to 250. Everywhere I read said medium rare is 125. I pulled it at 120 and seared it. After searing the IT was 125.

I think the rack is somewhere in there lol

Tent foiled it loosely and let it rest for 10 minutes. When I was cutting it up into individual servings the inside looked nearly raw. I double checked the IT and it was still 125. I checked multiple spots and it was  all within a few degrees. Theals were already out at this point so I just threw it in the oven @ 350. Periodically checking the IT and I ended up bringing it all the way to 145-150 for it to look medium/medium rare. This was really frustrating because this delayed dinner. At least everyone said the lamb was still very tender and tasty. Maybe we were just hungry haha. My wife said I could make it for her parents, so that's a good vote of confidence but not until I figure this out.

Two sides of the same piece of meat. Such a vast color difference.

This was a big learning experience for me. Questions for all you more experienced folk. What is the normal serving internal temperature? What is the temp for medium rare? I made sure to stick the thermometer right through the center of the meat; I think that's the proper way? Does rack of lamb normally cook inconsistently throughout a single rack? How would you recommend that I grill it next time? Thanks for taking the time to read and share your thoughts!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 07:31:55 AM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: First lamb cook
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »

I am a big fan of lamb, however, I don't cook it much as my wife does not like it … That's what she tells me.  :-\

Those racks you did look delicious.  I have never cooked a rack, just chops.

As far as doneness, you may want to treat it more like pork …. Maybe go with 140℉ IT for med-rare / medium, and 145℉ for medium / med well.
I may not know what I'm talking about, but I personally would not want to eat rare lamb meat. YMMV

You have piqued my interest, and now I want to give it a try.  Thanks for sharing!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.