Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Christmas cook  (Read 1296 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas cook
« on: December 25, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
What a day. I started the grills a couple hours early to melt the snow and ice off.     I did ham in a pan wrapped tightly with a couple cups of water on the 26 and I did a roti turkey on the performer. After a 4-5 hours on low heat, I fat separated the ham juice for gravy later then I exposed the ham the last hour and basted with a grey poupon, pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey glaze at high heat. I took the picture before it was caramelized so it doesn’t look great but it was amazing. I injected the turkey with chicken stock and Valentina mixture and rubbed with olive oil and weber kickin chicken. The injection took which I wasn’t sure since it was my first time injecting using the roti. It was cold and I had to kick start things a couple times using the smokey joe as a chimney starter to add hot coals. All in all it was a blast.

And the aftermath

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Christmas cook
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
What a day. I started the grills a couple hours early to melt the snow and ice off.     I did ham in a pan wrapped tightly with a couple cups of water on the 26 and I did a roti turkey on the performer. After a 4-5 hours on low heat, I fat separated the ham juice for gravy later then I exposed the ham the last hour and basted with a grey poupon, pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey glaze at high heat. I took the picture before it was caramelized so it doesn’t look great but it was amazing. I injected the turkey with chicken stock and Valentina mixture and rubbed with olive oil and weber kickin chicken. The injection took which I wasn’t sure since it was my first time injecting using the roti. It was cold and I had to kick start things a couple times using the smokey joe as a chimney starter to add hot coals. All in all it was a blast.

And the aftermath

Looks amazing....great work!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I like the ham method you used there. Slow cook to render and then adding the sugars and juices for the end. Sounds great man. Looks even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »
Nice cook.  Multiple grill cooking is fun keeps you busy.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
Thanks fellas. Maximizing and preserving the ham juice for high quality ham gravy is a tradition for my family and takes top priority over all else. The gravy along with my wife’s mashed potatoes is what everyone is after. The ham and turkey tasting great is a good bonus though.

I’m really looking forward to experimenting with the turkey injection. I would really like it much spicier.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 06:37:05 AM »
Grate looking cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
Simply Beautiful ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »
Looks good. What's that contraption under the ham?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Christmas cook
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 02:03:47 AM »
Looks good. What's that contraption under the ham?

It’s a roast rack from an old 12 qt nesco. It made it easy to move the ham to and from.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 05:07:48 AM by HoosierKettle »