Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: big ron's rub - too salty?  (Read 1933 times)

ligrill

• Smokey Joe
big ron's rub - too salty?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:28 AM »
I used this on ribs this weekend and found they were very salty.  I used the rub right before they went on the weber.  Has anyone else found this to be the case?  Did I just use too much?

Thanks!

toddmog

• WKC Brave
Re: big ron's rub - too salty?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:42:45 PM »
I had to google big Ron's rub since I'd never heard of it. Going by the description on their website, they are lower sodium than other competitors rubs. My guess is what might be salty to you might not be to someone else.  Or maybe you just got a little heavy handed with it. I know I can't apply Plowboys Yardbird like I do my homemade rub with out it being too salty.
2013 22.5 WSM, 2012 Brick Red Performer Platinum, 2012 SJG (Mini WSM), 2011 Q300, 2008 18.5 WSM, 1998 Gas Go Anywhere

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »
I used this on ribs this weekend and found they were very salty.  I used the rub right before they went on the weber.  Has anyone else found this to be the case?  Did I just use too much?

Thanks!

If it's applied really heavy, it can be salty.....it is a low salt rub, one of ther very lowest of commercial rubs BUT, it's also pretty dang concentrated......

Took me awhile to understand that using less than I would with some others it still comes out good........

It also depends a little on what you're cooking......I load up pork butts still pretty heavy.......salty, salty, until near when they are finished & somehow when it's all cooked thru & rested, it comes up really flavorful & not bad at all on the salt...........

Hope that helps resolve some stuff.....I really like the taste of the stuff, esp. along with smoked goods................
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

ligrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
I love Big Rons and I guess I will put a little bit less on in the future..

I noticed on most pics and youtube videos, they cover the ribs in rub - I guess it doesnt have to be that way

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
I love Big Rons and I guess I will put a little bit less on in the future..

I noticed on most pics and youtube videos, they cover the ribs in rub - I guess it doesnt have to be that way

ligrill, with ribs, try this........

rub down medium strength so it covers, but you can still kinda see the meat some......
Then, either wrap in clear plastic wrap or just leave open & refrigerate for an hour or two.....it should be enough time for the rub to sort of "melt" into the surface......
that means it's melding with the liquids in the meat & slightly curing that surface.......
It should be a little less intense that way & also the salts do the work they were intended for & the other spices are left to the flavoring.....that's sort of the dynamics of rubs, or how they work.......hope the next round is less salty & more flavorful !!!

Even if a thicker coating is applied, a slightly higher heat will cook it thru well....here's beef & pork ribs & I believe both were In the House rub......

Fairly thick, medium high heat (260~275) & they were a tad salty as I remember, but not bad.....

After it sets up from cooking awhile, try a quick spritz of apple juice and/or apple cider vinegar once or twice later in the cook....that will also help to meld the rub into the cooked surface......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"