Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket - Where and what to buy?  (Read 1479 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Brisket - Where and what to buy?
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:35:05 AM »
So, I'm not new to doing briskets, but I'm no expert either.  I'm looking to do at least 1 packer over the holidays and wanted to get some input on what and where to buy.  I'm debating between Prime vs. Choice.  If I recall, Sams and Walmart typically only sell Choice.  I think Costco sells Prime, but I don't have a membership and it's a bit of a drive for me. So it probably wouldn't be worth getting a membership.  So long story short, does Prime vs Choice matter much for packer briskets, and does anyone know a good place to buy good, reasonably priced briskets?  Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Brisket - Where and what to buy?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
Both Prime and Choice from the larger stores should run you around $2-$3 per lb. You can also see if there is a good butcher in your area that sources quality meat (it may be a little more $ per lb).

Here in California, one local supermarket has Choice at $6-7 per lb (which is a little insane). It may be a different situation in Iowa, but out here, most grocery stores don't sell a lot of brisket because people don't eat it (which is probably why its more expensive). Honestly, the reason I buy Prime? Costco is about a mile away and the only place I have found around this part of California that routinely carries full packers. I am actually thinking of doing a brisket this weekend.

Does Prime vs. Choice matter much for briskets? From what I have read and experienced, not really. Some say the Prime packers typically cook a little faster and hold moisture a little better (but I can't confirm that). Conversely, I have heard some people use a little beef broth when wrapping their Choice briskets.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
I've cooked both from Costco and Sam's I think cost is will be more consistent and Sam's you will need to pick through them. My Sam's doesn't always have very many out maybe 2-3 at the most

Another thing I like to do is just the flat. It's more per pound but a whole lot less waste and if you just want to slice for sandwiches who cares plus it cooks faster

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »
Our Sam's and Costcos here (DC-Baltimore)
don't seem to carry packers but the Super Walmarts
do strangely. Sam's says they won't even order
them unless I get 3 or more cases.

The last 2 I got from Walmart turned out really
outstanding.

Just S&P with yellow mustard as the glue.
Cooked in my offset with oak and apple or
wild black cherry 'cause that's what we have here.

Next time I'm loading it up.
There is room for 3-4 packers.
Vac bag 'em and into the freezers they go.

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »
Do you have a GFS (Gordon Food Service)? The last 3 packers I bought are from them, Choice grade, all 3 turned out great. Try to pick one with the most marbled fat and check for probe tender in the thickest part of the flat when done. The last two I smoked, the internal temp was 210*F when done.

Here in Florida the price was around $2.50 a lb and average size I think,  was 11 pounds.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »
I don't belong to Costco either.  But I'm lucky in that I have a Restaurant Depot in town.  I buy their Black Angus briskets and have been very happy with them.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 04:34:52 PM »
A few months back i went to either costco or sam's and the prime packer was less than a choice flat...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 04:05:14 PM »
I,be also noticed that the primes at Sam’s have been much cheaper than the choice and have picked a few up for the freezer. I smoked one of the primes for the first time a few months ago and it was my best ever.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
I’ve...

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app