Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Potato wedges  (Read 1324 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Potato wedges
« on: November 28, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
I've learned a lot from reading about other peoples' cooks, so thank you WKC for sharing! This was another first for me, potatoes on the grill. I didn't really know what I was doing but what I gathered from searching through posts here was just let it rip for about an hour or so until the potatoes are done. I coated them with olive oil and sprinkled an unknown amount of salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika.

I lit a full chimney, opened up all the vents fully, and let the grill warm up. The dome thermometer was reading 450F (too lazy/didn't think it was necessary to bust out the probe so this is close enough), which I believe would burn the potatoes before they would finish cooking. I put on the wedges and closed the vents a tad and watched for 15 minutes and the grill was still at about 425. I closed it a tad more and decided, for whatever reason, to make a grocery store run and came back 30 minutes later to find the grill at 300F. At this point about 45 minutes had passed and the potatoes were almost done so I decided to just open up the vents fully again. I checked 15 minutes later and FWIW the grill was at 425 and the potatoes were nearly done and some were ever so burnt at the edges.

I took them off and tried it after it cooled down and I couldn't really taste the seasoning so I tossed it in more seasoning. The skin was nicely developed and nearly separated from the inside, but wasn't quite crispy as regular fried wedges would be. I wonder if that would be better if I did a better job of maintaining the temps haha. My 1 year old liked it so I can't complain  ;D Overall it was enjoyable and gained confidence in cooking wedges.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:13:43 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
Re: Potato wedges
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »
Those look great! I gotta try that.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
Looks good! I have been thinking about doing this,but just haven’t tried it yet. Maybe this will get me motivated.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »
Sure looks to me like you did everything fine. And no, nothing will be as crispy as actual fried food. Normally, the lid thermometer will read pretty high with center-arranged coals under it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:21 AM »
I do mine the same way, wide open for me but I am on a 26er and the potatoes are further from the Vortex and crisp up nicely without burning
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 04:33:20 AM »
Thanks everyone! I do plan on making them again and hopefully I'll get the vents right so I can just let them go without burning.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:33:26 AM by Firemunkee »

#ChrisO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:02 AM »
What if you put a pizza stone on/in the GBS system and use is as a “platesetter”? You defuse the direct heat

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »
That's an idea. I don't have a pizza stone though. How well would aluminum foil work for this? Or a cast iron pan?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

#ChrisO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
Cast iron pan might work. Give it a try, can’t hurt

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk