Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help needed with pig roast !  (Read 1212 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Help needed with pig roast !
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

My wife wants me to do a rotisserie pig on my 22” Kettle for Christmas ... something along the idea of this.. but on my Kettle !

I got also the permission to do a trial run.. :-)
I’m going to google everything I can and read up some of my 75+ Barbecue cook books.
I want to tap into the wealth of info here and ask everyone that has ever done this to pitch in and help with tips.
Any info you can give is welcome.. even if it’s just a web link for me to read up.
Things like.. pig straight out or folded up ?
Stuff the pig or leave him open ?
Rub or no rub?
What type smoke wood is best, or combo of wood?
Guess on times and temps are also welcome.

Or even if you say .. Don’t Do it.. because..?
Thanks. Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Help needed with pig roast !
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
So that’s a suckling pig (one only fed milk and not grain). They are absolutely delicious. One of my favorite things to eat. I️ have yet to do one on a kettle, but will in the near future.

If you do it on a kettle it would probably have to be folded like that picture and not splayed. I️ can’t imagine you being able to splay one out unless there was more clearance.

Also, I’m pretty sure most suckling pigs would be too small to fit on a 22” rotisserie. 26” would be a better choice. Not saying it can’t be done, but for it to fit it has to be fairly small.

Remember, fetal pigs at birth are are usually between 10”-14” long, so you may want to tell your butcher your size requirements.

Salt is the key. You could get fancy with aromatics and rubs, but really, all you need is salt. Some people like to inject theirs with brine. It really depends what flavor profile you’re trying to go for (bbq, Latin, pacific island, etc.) too.

Back to the salt. One time I️ ate so much suckling pig at Amada’s “Pig Out” that I️ felt dehydrated the next morning because of the loads of salt in/on the pork. I️ literally felt hungover, without having had anything to drink except some water. Through the dry mouth and mild headache, I️ realized later that I️ practically pickled myself with the amount of salted meat I️ consumed.

As for temps...I’d probably go 275-300. Then I would probably add coals to the basket(s) at the end to increase the heat considerably and crisp/crackle the skin.

Meathead Goldwyn has a recipe in his book “Meathead” on his particular procedure and includes prep tips. He only seasons the cavity and roasts at 225 until the deep center of the hams is 140 degrees. His time frame at that temp is 4-5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:58:20 PM by Mike in Roseville »

northernQ

• Smokey Joe
Re: Help needed with pig roast !
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
Suckling pig on a 22 inch kettle. Don't bother. Kettle is too small and the meat off a small suckling pig is insignificant.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
I agree. It will most probably not fit 22 roti. Here some pics of 16 lbs suckling pig I've done. This roaster is approx. 4' wide...

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »
 If you want you can pick it up at my place. I can borrow it to you for Xmas. No problem👍😀

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:32 PM »
If it turns out it just won’t fit and supply enough meat for that much work then maybe a whole rear leg / ham from a larger pig might be a better idea ?

Something like this maybe ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club