Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tailgate  (Read 3686 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Tailgate
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 03:56:22 PM »

Chili dogs may be pretty normal, but they are cheap and simple! This is exactly what we had for dinner tonight (with some seasoned fries from Aldi in the oven)

And anything looks exquisite when placed next to the 49ers lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Never once thought of cooking in the can until this. Tonight I cooked green beans and pork and beans in the can to go with pork chops. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
Never once thought of cooking in the can until this. Tonight I cooked green beans and pork and beans in the can to go with pork chops. Thanks for the idea.

Was gonna ask about that too, @Schaefd2  ... what a space-saver it must be on the grill! So, it works OK? No serious issues with burning on the bottom or hard to stir or take too long?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Meat and veggies on a stick. Takes some prep, but easy makes for an easy cook.

Filipino pork skewers (pork butt cubed and marinated in soy sauce, sprite, ginger, garlic, banana ketchup, brown sugar and if you can get a hold of calamansi)

Kalbi Skewers (I use Delmonico steaks because its a cheaper cut, but you can probably do it with chuck, marinated in Kalbi sauce)

Huli Huli Chicken on a stick. I use dark meat for this and you can find any recipe online.

Smoked kielbasa, pineapple with BBQ sauce. Check the picture. :D

Smoked pulled pork taco's. I heat mine in a CI and its easy to assemble.

Hope these help?

That's the sort of lineup that deserves its own thread. Wow. At the risk of using a rapidly-overused term, there's a lot to unpack there.

The pictures show a lot happening, not all of it obvious like where the heat is arranged, how the foil or whatever is used underneath and so on.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Tailgate
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
@HoosierKettle @addicted-to-smoke I’m glad you guys found it useful! I just hate doing dishes. I had no issues with bottom burning or boiling over, but I was careful to not place it directly over the coals. I stirred it using a spoon and kinda lifted the chili up gently instead actual stirring. Note: it’s easier to move the can around the grill by using your glove instead of tongs [emoji23] Using tongs was almost a very bad idea!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:30:30 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:04 PM »

@hoosierkettle @addicted-to-smoke I’m glad you guys found it useful! I just hate doing dishes. I had no issues with bottom burning or boiling over, but I was careful to not place it directly over the coals. I stirred it using a spoon and kinda lifted the chili up instead actual stirring. Note: it’s easier to move the can around the grill by using your glove instead of tongs [emoji23] Using tongs was almost a very bad idea!

Very cool idea that was right in front of me the whole time. I added a little bacon grease and s&p to the green beans and some seasoning and bbq sauce the pork and beans. Drained a little before hand. Cooked indirect and did not stir. Worked like a charm and HUGE space saver. Game changer for me. Thanks man.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 05:50:45 PM »

@hoosierkettle @addicted-to-smoke I’m glad you guys found it useful! I just hate doing dishes. I had no issues with bottom burning or boiling over, but I was careful to not place it directly over the coals. I stirred it using a spoon and kinda lifted the chili up instead actual stirring. Note: it’s easier to move the can around the grill by using your glove instead of tongs [emoji23] Using tongs was almost a very bad idea!

Very cool idea that was right in front of me the whole time. I added a little bacon grease and s&p to the green beans and some seasoning and bbq sauce the pork and beans. Drained a little before hand. Cooked indirect and did not stir. Worked like a charm and HUGE space saver. Game changer for me. Thanks man.

That sounds great!! I’m glad you found it useful!!

I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »
Meat and veggies on a stick. Takes some prep, but easy makes for an easy cook.

Filipino pork skewers (pork butt cubed and marinated in soy sauce, sprite, ginger, garlic, banana ketchup, brown sugar and if you can get a hold of calamansi)

Kalbi Skewers (I use Delmonico steaks because its a cheaper cut, but you can probably do it with chuck, marinated in Kalbi sauce)

Huli Huli Chicken on a stick. I use dark meat for this and you can find any recipe online.

Smoked kielbasa, pineapple with BBQ sauce. Check the picture. :D

Smoked pulled pork taco's. I heat mine in a CI and its easy to assemble.

Hope these help?

That's the sort of lineup that deserves its own thread. Wow. At the risk of using a rapidly-overused term, there's a lot to unpack there.

The pictures show a lot happening, not all of it obvious like where the heat is arranged, how the foil or whatever is used underneath and so on.

This is my interpretation of yakatori grilling. Instead of buying a dedicated grill for it, I got some ideas online. I used two bricks and a adjustable grate that I found at Lowe's. Fire source is under the grate, but I now do it on the top to get a nice sear. The foil is so the sticks don't burn. Still trying other ideas though. Maybe getting rid of bricks and use stainless steel bolts to hold the grate up? 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
Yeah I can see where you might be interested in a hibachi grill for that, or Weber's version, the Go-Anywhere. But both are smaller, and that 22 is already bursting at the seams. Putting charcoal on a cooking grate will prematurely kill it, of course.

I like how your firebricks serve double duty as grill support and insulators to help protect the veggies.

Thanks again!

GillingNoob757

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
Yeah I can see where you might be interested in a hibachi grill for that, or Weber's version, the Go-Anywhere. But both are smaller, and that 22 is already bursting at the seams. Putting charcoal on a cooking grate will prematurely kill it, of course.

I like how your firebricks serve double duty as grill support and insulators to help protect the veggies.

Thanks again!
You're welcome. I use an older grate specifically for that set up.  ;D

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 12:57:15 AM »
Try jalapeño cheddar cheese sausage stuffed into a tenderloin then wrapped with bacon or prosciutto. Just did them this weekend made 6 of them for 30 plus people.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 01:21:14 AM »
Try jalapeño cheddar cheese sausage stuffed into a tenderloin then wrapped with bacon or prosciutto. Just did them this weekend made 6 of them for 30 plus people.

That looks delicious.