Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22 pound turkey. Spatchcock, Roasted or Roti?  (Read 2657 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: 22 pound turkey. Spatchcock, Roasted or Roti?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »
22lb. spatchcocked Butterball on a 26”

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

John, that bird looks great! Is that how you normally do your turkey's?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

I don't cook turkey that often, so I am no expert. I have had good luck with the spatchcock and with the basement method that I stole from @1buckie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:43:21 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:03:28 AM »
... I’d  say in total it maybe took me 30-40 minutes. I️ could probably do it in 20 if I️ was in a rush....

@Mike in Roseville you'll like this.

A chicken, in a minute: https://www.facebook.com/rich.graham.125/posts/10212083737507240?pnref=story
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
My mother owned and ran a catering company out the kitchen of my Dad’s Lounge (tavern/bar); that is, up until cancer made her retire; my first job was peeling and chopping potatoes for potato salad.  My second was dressing birds; turkeys, chickens, pheasants, ducks, Cornish hens and quail.

I was faster than all of my cousins, so that was all I did for an entire summer, 8, 10, 12 hours a day.  It got to the point where I could completely debone a chicken in 3 minutes and and a turkey in 5.  I have big hands, so it actually took me longer to do a Cornish hen or quail.  I was ecstatic when I was in college and old enough to serve alcohol and tend bar. LOLOL

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »

My mother owned and ran a catering company out the kitchen of my Dad’s Lounge (tavern/bar); that is, up until cancer made her retire; my first job was peeling and chopping potatoes for potato salad.  My second was dressing birds; turkeys, chickens, pheasants, ducks, Cornish hens and quail.

I was faster than all of my cousins, so that was all I did for an entire summer, 8, 10, 12 hours a day.  It got to the point where I could completely debone a chicken in 3 minutes and and a turkey in 5.  I have big hands, so it actually took me longer to do a Cornish hen or quail.  I was ecstatic when I was in college and old enough to serve alcohol and tend bar. LOLOL

That’s awesome! Yeah chickens don’t take too long and the little birds seem to take a bit more time. I wasn’t in a hurry doing that turkey so I️ took a bit more care with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app