Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken Drummies and Thighs - Three ways, plus a Secret!  (Read 1041 times)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Chicken Drummies and Thighs - Three ways, plus a Secret!
« on: June 24, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »
Lately, my wife and I have been addicted to chicken drums and thighs lately. We have grilled them three times in the last 7 days!! Near the end of each cook, I removed the poortex and cooked some veggies.

First, I rubbed the thighs with my standard seasoning and the drums with some Sweet Ancho seasoning @jamesnomore gifted me during the last Secret Santa. They were killer!! The side dish this time was some marinated veggies.

The very next day, I marinated the thighs in Jamaican Jerk and the drummies in a Yucatán marinate made by a local hot sauce aficionado (CaJohns!). Side dish was some grilled broccoli!

Today, I am rubbing them in a new custom rub a made (mainly with cardamom, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne). Grilled cabbage is the side!! Grilled cabbage is wicked awesome fellas!! I’m letting the Secret out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:57:29 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chicken Drummies and Thighs - Three ways, plus a Secret!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »
My brother-in-law turned me on to grilled cabbage, but he actually steams it in foil (large wedges, not sliced up) AFTER first searing it.

I swear I couldn't figure out why we'd unwrap the foil to find the wedges with grate marks on them.

At least, I *think* that's how he does it. Never seen it in action actually.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 03:35:22 AM »
My brother-in-law turned me on to grilled cabbage, but he actually steams it in foil (large wedges, not sliced up) AFTER first searing it.

I swear I couldn't figure out why we'd unwrap the foil to find the wedges with grate marks on them.

At least, I *think* that's how he does it. Never seen it in action actually.
I am glad I am not the only one doing it! I think it is awesome with a tad of EVOO, S&P

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 04:37:00 AM »
Awesome cook and sounds wonderful. Your cooks seemed to have progressed a long way from when you first joined. I can’t keep up with you anymore. I also like to see the large quantity of food. Not sure why, just makes me happy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »

Awesome cook and sounds wonderful. Your cooks seemed to have progressed a long way from when you first joined. I can’t keep up with you anymore. I also like to see the large quantity of food. Not sure why, just makes me happy lol

Thanks for the kind words! I can credit it back to the enormous wealth of knowledge and advice on the WKC! (And a wife that gets bored with the same food all the time)

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 02:04:27 PM »
Love grilled cabbage. I started out so good and wholesome, just a brush of olive oil, S&P, maybe a little garlic powder. That evolved into wrapping it with a splash of beer, bacon grease and some blue cheese. It’s killer good and I pray that the goodness of the cabbage cancels out the bacon grease and cheese badness. Lol

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:55:08 PM »

Love grilled cabbage. I started out so good and wholesome, just a brush of olive oil, S&P, maybe a little garlic powder. That evolved into wrapping it with a splash of beer, bacon grease and some blue cheese. It’s killer good and I pray that the goodness of the cabbage cancels out the bacon grease and cheese badness. Lol

Oh my ohh myyyy
Now those are some excellent ideas!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »

Oh yes, many of us have strayed down a similar path. Not to worry, dear child. All are welcome in the House of Bacon & Cheese.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch