Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question about Pork Shoulder Cook  (Read 2447 times)

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
Re: Question about Pork Shoulder Cook
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 10:14:27 AM »
From experience I see a temp drop at the outset after a lot of meat hits the grill.  I feed’er a little more fuel to compensate for this.  But, once the temp gets back up the cook proceeds as normal.  I usually pull at 195 or so.
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
I posed the question in tweets to Malcom Reed and Meathead Goldwyn.

Reed: It depends on air flow. If you have plenty of room, it won't increase cook time much. If you are loaded down, expect times to increase.

Meathead: Short version: If air temp is the same, cooking time should be about the same if they are not too close.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »

I posed the question in tweets to Malcom Reed and Meathead Goldwyn.

Reed: It depends on air flow. If you have plenty of room, it won't increase cook time much. If you are loaded down, expect times to increase.

Meathead: Short version: If air temp is the same, cooking time should be about the same if they are not too close.

That sounds right. My last cook I had a whole brisket below 2 pork butts on an 18 wsm. My cook time was the same as if I had done a single butt. The only difference was I had to run all vents wide open the first 4-5 hours to maintain temp so I burned through more fuel than normal. A full charcoal ring was about spent after 8-9 hours where normally I could run 12 hours no problem. The meat doesn’t care if it has a buddy along for the ride as long as they aren’t touching. Kind of like when you have a buddy ride with you on a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:16 PM »
As long as no one is in the back seat skiing then it’s all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.