Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Baked beans PSA  (Read 1037 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Baked beans PSA
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:29:29 AM »
I can’t believe I’m saying this but I might have to disagree with Malcolm on this one. The recipe sounds phenomenal but I would recommend cooking beans in the 250ish range and not at 300 as he suggests.  Especially in the Dutch oven. Higher temps run a greater risk of sticking and the beans breaking down. I’ve done that in the past and that’s not good. Am I wrong?  What temp do you guys cook beans?  Anyways, I’ll be trying this recipe soon. It sounds wonderful.

https://youtu.be/Ag7StFxm-xI

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Baked beans PSA
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »
Oh man. That does look awesome. I’ve done beans right over the coals before at a slight simmer and they were fine. Couldn’t tell you what temp that was, but it was over direct heat and they turned out fine. I kept an eye on them and stirred them occasionally also. That probably helped.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Baked beans PSA
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 07:24:18 AM »
I might have been cooking higher than 300 on failed attempt but I also cook beans inside in a digital slow cooker and 250 keeps them at a nice simmer. 300 would be a rapid boil and a disaster.  I have one of those ninjas that can cook oven temps as well as low and slow and has a digital setting so it’s a nice controlled way of figuring out what temp the beans like being cooked at. I carried that over to the grill and have been happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »
... I have one of those ninjas that can cook oven temps as well as low and slow and has a digital setting so it’s a nice controlled way of figuring out what temp the beans like being cooked at. I carried that over to the grill and have been happy with the results.

I've wanted some sort of thing like that. I read that the Instapot (are thing?) can do everything from slow cook to pressure cook? I especially like your idea of using it as a tool for gauging what temps to use here.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 07:49:40 AM »
He left the DO lid off, and started with far more liquid (and various juicy bits) than might normally be the case for "baked beans." I can see how 300 for 2hrs wouldn't be wrong at all, here.

MY question is about the beans he started with. Unless you begin with raw beans that you soaked overnight, it all sorta looks over seasoned to me, because "baked beans" in a can from the store invariably already has a shitload of spices and even generic or tomato-based BBQ sauce of some kind mixed in, yeah?

That doesn't mean I wouldn't try his recipe, though!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »
I tend to agree about the beans, @addicted-to-smoke.  The recipe I use calls for a mixture of six different kinds of beans, but uses canned beans (kidneys, pintos, black, etc.)  I also add brown sugar, ketchup, BBQ sauce, and a bunch of pulled pork.

I'm adding a pic of my family chowing down on the beans at beach last year.  One pan had jalapenos added, one pan was regular, and one pan had some substitutes for the diabetics in my family.

BD

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:24:57 AM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna