Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Thighs on the Smokey Joe  (Read 2608 times)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Vortex Thighs on the Smokey Joe
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:59:08 PM »
How in the world do you fit a Vortex in a Smokey Joe?
Use a mini Vortex!
The mini sized Vortex is designed and marketed for use in the modern Jumbo Joe 18" and Jumbo Joe Premium 22”. In fact the website says "this will not work for the Smokey Joe".
I love a challenge. Since I have access to a mini Vortex, I decided to investigate.

I installed the mini Vortex in a variety of 14” Smokey Joes that I have hanging around. The list includes a C-code 3 wheeler, M-code SJ Silver, N-code SJ Gold, and an AH-code modern SJ. The mini fit in all of them, but there is not much clearance between the Vortex and the cooking grate.
I believe that the combination of a Smokey Joe and a mini Vortex will make a nifty little high heat indirect cooker...guess I better cook now!

I started with my C-code SJ with three daisy-wheel vents:

Added a mini chimney of Royal Oak Briquettes:

Four large thighs, and a chunk of apple:

45 minutes of this:

I wound up having to close down the vents a little because it started to smell like things we're getting too hot. In fact I recommend wearing a good glove when you touch the lid handle. I didn't use any electronics, but it was hot as hell inside this thing.

After 45 minutes, the finished product:

They had gone about 10° over my target temp, and we're just a bit more crispy than I wanted. My son and I ate them and they were pretty good!
I had a control group going on the Performer with a medium Vortex that we're started at the same time. They we're 170° and looked like this when I Pulled the four off of the SJ:

They we're good, too.

It worked!
Next time I would use less coal or limit the air intake more. I might even try the SJ Gold with its side vents. I can't wait to try this with a dozen wings. [emoji16]

The Vortex is a very versatile tool when used as intended. I love using my small and medium ones in my 18"and 22" kettles. Even though the mini fits in a 14" Smokey Joe, it is obviously limited as to what it can do in this application. I may have to pick up a Jumbo Joe so I can play with this thing correctly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vortex Thighs on the Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »
Cool that you have a mini...
Not actually made that way...They trim down the medium (i think) And sell em to those who want em...Not a lot of demand...

Hell of a good job using a V in a SJ...

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:12:55 AM »
I dig your SJ lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
Nice report, thanks for sharing.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
Nice cookin JC!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »
I love cooking on my SJ .  We should make a thread on what can cook on a SJ!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 08:04:12 PM »
Interesting. I have an older smokey Joe (forget the code). It’s done nothing but start chimneys for the WSMs, to date.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:45:57 AM »
Interesting. I have an older smokey Joe (forget the code). It’s done nothing but start chimneys for the WSMs, to date.

Need an outdoor "burner" for a pot or a pan or a wok? Smokey Joe.

Really want to sear a steak? Carry the steak on the cold grill grate over to the Smokey Joe. Cold grate = more sear reaches the meat (so, no sear marks).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
Excellent post of a mini Vortex with a Smokey Joe, and also nice chatting with you on FB this evening!