Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Unwrapped Brisket  (Read 1660 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Unwrapped Brisket
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:29:27 AM »
Yesterday I cooked a full packer like I normally do, but I changed two things. I see videos and read about how unwrapped briskets are often preferable in flavor to paper wrapped/crutch briskets. So for this cook, instead of wrapping in butcher paper out of the stall, I decided to leave this one unwrapped.

I also didn't do my normal fat cap down / then flip (I left it fat cap up the whole time). More on this in a bit.

This Prime packer took a little longer...10.5 hours.

And done...

After the rest...

Also took the point flap and made some Kansas City Burnt Ends.

Results:

So I learned a lot with this cook.

1) Fat cap down (if leaving unwrapped). A full packer on an 18WSM should be left fat cap down or down then up (then wrap). A small section of the flat was pretty dry (maybe 1/4" thick over a few inches). Not jerky, but not ideal.

2) So I will say this was the best trimmed brisket yet. I really tried to get it to about 1/4" across the top and I have to say, the fat rendered perfectly across. Trimming a brisket really is an art. I also see why Aaron Franklin tries to "square up" when he cuts. At home it doesn't really matter, but I can see how this could come into play in a competition.

3) How does it compare to wrapping post-stall in butcher paper? Pretty similar. Smoke is a little more pronounced unwrapped. Also, the smoke seems to mute the "candy sweetness" of a wrapped brisket. The sweetness is still there a little in the aroma, but not so much for flavor (quite frankly, I miss it). The slightly more assertive smoke makes me think the frozen leftovers will do better in a pot of beans, rather than tacos. The bark is much more firm on the unwrapped brisket for sure. It was really nice to cut (even on the flat, which was a little over...though not dry). Wrapped briskets seem to yield better moisture throughout.

4) Wrapped briskets cook quicker? I pose this as a question, because I'm not quite sure if I can answer it yet. I know foil crutch briskets cook quicker. Paper is sort of a partial crutch. At any rate, it seemed like this one just took longer than they normally do.

5) Kansas City Burnt Ends = The most amazing boneless rib bites ever! I wanted to do them on the WSM, but time didn't allow it. So sauced in a pan...and you know what? Everyone loved them!

Last Words:

While this unwrapped brisket turned out good and the bark was really nice, I think I have made better briskets with my previous method. Next time I will revisit that method. I'll probably wait a little longer to wrap or try the WSM without water and see how that goes.

I may be doing more pork shoulders as we get deeper into Fall, but with brisket at $2.89 lb for Prime at Costco, I may cook up one or two before the end of the year.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Unwrapped Brisket
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:44:17 AM »
Damn it looks good from here! Thanks for the write up and compare/contrast of the methods.  I've never wrapped on any of my cooks and I have had a borderline dry flat before.  If you go unwrapped next time put less smoke wood on at the beginning of the cook and then don't add anymore.  It will probably be like what you're used to with the wrapped method.  $2.89 for prime is good, I need to discover Costco.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
Looks great man and lots of moisture. Never cooked one fat up in a WSM. Might try that next time. I like wrapping myself , but always unwrap it for the last 5-10 degrees to get the bark back solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
Thanks guys...

@kettlebb ...It was really good. I just think the ones I have made previously were a tad better. I think you may be on to something with less smoke wood for an unwrapped brisket. There was a meat candy quality to the ones I have made previously. Not sure if it is a combination of smoke, wrap, bark, etc.? Whatever it is, I love it! This one just turned out a little different. Prime was $3.49 during the summer, then dropped to $2.99, then $2.89. Its cheaper than a lot of beef...hell, a lot of other meat for that matter.

@wessonjb...Oh yeah, I have never really had one dry out on me. I always nail the point. The flat is always juicy too; its is usually a touch under or slightly over like this one. One of these days I am going to nail one that is perfect on both sides. I had to cut my flat slices a little thicker to keep them together. I personally wouldn't cook one fat side up again in a WSM. I know you have a 22WSM, so the large pan may act as a bit more of a "heat shield?" There is a certain "romance" to cooking one fat side up. Maybe its the same allure as a "stick-burner?" I'm not sure. But in an 18WSM, fat side down for me if unwrapped...or down then up when wrapping in paper.
I may have to try your trick of pulling from the paper to get the bark to set at the end.