Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reverse sear temps?  (Read 2533 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Reverse sear temps?
« on: October 10, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »
I haven’t done a proper reverse sear yet and I want to give it a try with a pair of T-Bones... I saw in a post a list of temps used with reverse sear and wondered if these temps came from a grill book and if so.. what book?

How are these temps “spot on” and carved in stone or ball park ?
Does anyone have a better list of temps?

Thanks

vwengguy / Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Reverse sear temps?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
I shoot for 125-130 so I pull the steak off at 110-115.  I don't wrap the steak in foil, it just rests on a plate.  A few tips I've learned:

1. before putting the steak on for the sear, pat both sides dry with a paper towel.  It takes a lot of energy to vaporize the moisture then transfer the heat to the steak.  If it starts dry it will get a crust faster.

2. try cold grate searing which is putting the steak on a cold section of the grate (not over the coals) then turn the grate over the coals.  When its time to flip and rotate, put the steaks on a new cold section then rotate the grate again.

3.  Make sure they are at least 1" or more in thickness, the thicker the better.

Good luck!
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »
That was my 2nd choice.. cold grate and my new sear monster (Slow n’ Sear Plus) :-)
I have made killer steaks before with just my GBS grate and charcoal baskets.. wife likes them almost walking, 2 mins each side max! Volcano temp and quick sear.
What do you get at 110-115? Med rare, med?
I just want to try some new tricks.
Good idea about the dry steaks!

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
+1 for @kettlebb process/temps.    Works great with the SNS and finishes med rare. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 06:18:03 AM »
Pulling the steaks at 110-115 from slow indirect will let you sear for 4 minutes (1 min per side) to achieve a 130-135 final temp which is perfect medium rare.   +1 on the cold grate method and drying the steaks before the sear.  Results are amazing.

As well, the slower you can go on the indirect, the more beautiful red mahogany color you develop when you sear.

Steaks should be about 1.5 inches thick for the 4 min sear process.  If you’re cooking thinner steaks just do 2 min of sear (still flipping every minute).

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 06:19:14 AM »
Let us know how those T bones turn out.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:28:56 AM »
Yeah I'd copyedit #6 to say, "Cook your steak until the internal temperature reaches 5-10 degrees under your desired target temperature."

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
I reverse sear this way.  You really don't need to wrap though.  I might lay a piece of foil over the meat, but never wrap. I usually pull about 8 degrees under done temp and it will cart over cook that final 5-10 degrees.  Then I let it fall back down to about 15 under the dine temp before searing.   I've had really good results doing it this way.   I think the temps in those instructions are all about 5 degrees too high by the way. 

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
Thanks @MikeRocksTheRed
The 5 degrees too high is what I’m trying to research.
I get the idea with the 5-10 degrees before target temp.. my question is more about “what is target temp” for rare,MR,M,MW and well ?
Does someone have a good list ?

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
Thanks @MikeRocksTheRed
I get the idea with the 5-10 degrees before target temp.. my question is more about “what is target temp” for rare,MR,M,MW and well ?

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »
Thanks @MikeRocksTheRed

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
^ I would never know how to time a dinner with all of that. Props.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »

^ I would never know how to time a dinner with all of that. Props.

That is the tricky part.  I won't do it this way if there is a set dinner time.  Then reverse sear with no rest in between indirect or direct or sous vide.  Sous vide is even easier because you can have the steaks just hanging out at temp and have the grill going then let them cook for 5-10 minutes give a quick sear then serve.  If dinner is on time great, if it gets delayed for some reason that is just fine too since the steaks can be just hang out in the sous vide until dinner is 10 minutes out.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:34:33 AM »
Ok.. here we go! Time to try it out!
First time doing the Reverse Sear shuffle .. and first time searing with my Slow n’ Sear Plus :-)

2 T-Bones and Argentina steak seasoning.. ja I know, they are sold as T-Bones but it’s more of a porterhouse steak.

Waiting...

Last Sear ... this ones mine ;-)

Wife made some cinnamon pears on the stove, and I did some French fries :-) Nom Nom.
Thanks for looking!