Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2nd cook Sn’S charcoal basket  (Read 1637 times)

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
2nd cook Sn’S charcoal basket
« on: October 03, 2017, 10:51:15 AM »
This is my 2nd cook using my new Sn’S SS charcoal basket in my JJ and the verdict so far is...
WOW this thing is great !
I can easily hit 500 deg. even using 2nd-3rd time used coals! I always reuse my coals as they burn down and the coals that ran first time in the basket even look better than without the basket. The coals seemed to be tighter and less ash on the out side when they were cool later? Maybe a one time thing due to the higher heat ? or just wishful thinking.
Anyway.. chicken thighs with a quick coat of olive oil and dusted with rotisserie dry rub. They came out great with about 40 min indirect to bring them up to temp and then over the basket for a quick sear.

Skin came out nice and crispy and the black on it was the rub that darkened up at the searing.

All in all I’m super impressed with the Sn’S charcoal SS basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 2nd cook Sn’S charcoal basket
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:31:32 AM »
Very nice chicken and that is some efficient use of fuel
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »
Love the JJ. It's the "little engine that could."

Is that a food service bin you're using for a drip pan? Looks like two corners trimmed to fit inside the kettle.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:33:22 AM »
Awesome job. I love my SnS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
You have very good eyes @addicted-to-smoke !

That drip pan was my last mod project 20 mins before the chicken went on the grill.
It’s a ( 1/3 ) size food service pan that I had used before in the JJ with 2 of the wire charcoal rails. But since I got the new charcoal grate with closer and thicker rods.. the rails don’t fit.
It’s a perfect fit once I trimmed the corners. I trimmed ( grinder ) 1/8” off the back edge and then tapped the edge down just a little bit to give the drip pan just a little bit of wiggle room in the grill. This also was done to make sure the charcoal basket was NOT pressed up against the back of the kettle and preserving the AIR GAP to protect the enamel.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:41:04 AM by vwengguy »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 05:21:30 AM »
That is one sweet set up and some nice looking chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
18s just plain rock! I love this cook and you're whole set up. Just plain cool. What is this new charcoal grate?! Please enlighten me...

"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
2nd cook Sn’S charcoal basket
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
Hey @guitarfish  are you sitting down ? Before you sit, grab some adult beverages and then breath deep and then... look at the photos.

The rods on the grate are thicker and closer and more of them. Super Heavy Duty compared to the standard 18” charcoal grate. I think this is the last grate I will ever need for the JJ !

Charcoal grate is the Rapid Fire weber grate from the euro 18” Kettle Plus.

Cooking grate also comes from the same Kettle Plus Grill. I wanted only the GBS grate for my JJ and when I got the Kettle Plus I saw the charcoal grate also. Bonus !

Don’t ask me , please! As of now weber Holland will NOT sell the grates as spare parts! I had to buy a new kettle in the box just to get the parts I needed.
As soon as weber will sell them.. I will let everyone know.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:34:49 PM by vwengguy »

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 12:52:37 PM »
Thanks @vwengguy For the quick response! In my best Archie Bunker impression "AAW GEEZ!" ... Thanks for the quick response, that is one BAD ASS 18" grill set up! And yes, I was sitting down with an adult beverage! Thanks again buddy

"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
No kidding! That is an awesome setup!!!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.