Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex wings  (Read 1703 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Vortex wings
« on: October 02, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
Wings!!!  These might be the best wings I've ever done.  Seasoned with Mortons Seasoned Salt, garlic powder and onion powder.  Wings were from Walmart and I suspect had more of a brine solution then usual.  They took longer to cook than usual but still came out juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside.  I used Weber Briquettes and filled the medium vortex to the top and let it burn a bit until all of the coals were fully lit. 

Wings took almost an hour.  I also tried something new.  Placing a wood chunk on top of the cooking grate causes the wood to burn more than smoke.  I placed a wood chunk on the coal grate, leaning against the vortex.  It got hot enough to cause the wood chunk to smoke and burn. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:34:31 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex wings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
@ed3120  - Here is the wing cook I did over the weekend.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
So much space for MOAR WINGS. Such missed opportunity :(

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
So much space for MOAR WINGS. Such missed opportunity :(

Yes, but this was a snack while I had some beef short ribs going on another grill!  I do wish I would have cooked a second pack though...they were really good.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
I had a couple of cool videos from this cook as well but can't upload them.  Changed to higher resolution for videos on my phone a few months ago and haven't been able to upload videos on the app since.  Might have to go back to a lower resolution.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:29 AM »
Those look great Mike! Don't try so hard[emoji23]

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Looks great, only thing missing is more wings.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
Those sure do look good!
May The Smoke Be With You!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Those are some good looking wings!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Vortex wings
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
Love it. Just made wings tonight inspired by this thread.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »
Nice. Eat them all, then pout when they are all gone. In a cool t-shirt.