Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Maintaining temps ?  (Read 1359 times)

robs2

• WKC Brave
Maintaining temps ?
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Newbie here. Tomorrow, I'll need to maintain 350-400 degrees on my Performer for 3.5+ hours. Will be using Weber briquettes.

Any tips on how best to accomplish this?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Maintaining temps ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
My vote would be a chimney of unlit dumped in baskets or a pile and a 1/2 to 3/4 lit dumped on top.
Adjust your vents accordingly and let her eat.
Whatcha cookin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Some formula I forgot, like add 8 unlit coals every 20 minutes. Or 40 minutes?

Getcha a cheap oven thermometer you can leave on the cook grate away from the coals. When it starts to fall, add a few unlit coals before it falls too much. Don't add more than 8-10 at a time or you'll overshoot the target, I think. Give 'em time to light before panicking.

Vents play a role here. Depending on how many coals are present at any given time, you many be running wide open with fewer coals, or partially shut down with a lot of lit charcoal in there. The latter approach is probably easier to regulate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:26:29 PM »
What are you cooking that needs 350+ for 3.5 hours? Is this on a 22?

Easiest with Weber briquettes is to do what Travis wrote above. If the temp does start to fall, do what addict advised, but with lump charcoal. The lump will light and produce heat more quickly.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:09:37 AM »
Awesome... thanks guys. I have a 3-rib 8lb bone in rib roast. I did a 5lb 2-rib a couple weeks ago at 400 for almost 2 hours and it was perfect. I'm hoping I'll hit my temp inside of 3.5 hours but I may just let it cook closer to 350... that seems to be a happy spot in my 22. I've not used minion before but I will today.

I do like to separate my baskets when doing a rib roast as it gives me a more consistent edge all the way around without having to rotate. But I'm guessing 2 separate baskets might behave differently than if both are together?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:51:36 AM »
I'd do baskets on the sides and meat in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:45:18 PM »
Turned out awesome! Thanks for the tips fellas.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »