Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken thighs and breast  (Read 2090 times)

Cduhejr

• Happy Cooker
Chicken thighs and breast
« on: September 18, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
New to forum. Little bit new to grilling. Just bought a Weber kettle one touch. Need some chicken thigh and breast recipes and cooking directions any help would be appreciated!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Chicken thighs and breast
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:36:35 AM »
Welcome from central Ohio. I always do my chicken indirect using the charcoal baskets on one side of the grill and the meat opposite the fuel. Keep the vents full open, keep the lid on and take them off at 165 internal temp. You should end up with crispy skin and juicy meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
Hello and welcome from Northeast Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
Yep, olive oil, season, cook indirect.  I usually dump a full lit chimney on one side and cook my chicken on the other. Always good. Don't let the breasts go above 165 to keep them juicy. All the other parts, I prefer mid 180's internal.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:54:45 AM »
Yep, olive oil, season, cook indirect.  I usually dump a full lit chimney on one side and cook my chicken on the other. Always good. Don't let the breasts go above 165 to keep them juicy. All the other parts, I prefer mid 180's internal.

And I always like to brine bird parts (except for wings) for a few hours to ensure they don't dry out if I go a few degrees over the mark...

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Nice post for us newbies.  Gonna do this indirect method tonight with my favorite chicken breast dry rub: minced garlic, minced onion, kosher salt, coarse black pepper and chili powder.  That recipe always turns out great on a direct cook, but eager to see the difference tonight with an indirect cook.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
Here's a couple example pics. The important thing is 2 zones. Indirect for cooking. Direct for color and char when needed.  Direct and indirect are both good. Balance each to your liking and play around with variations.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:29:13 PM by HoosierKettle »

Cduhejr

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »
Robs 2 let me know how it goes!

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
Will do... if I'm using boneless/skinless breasts, do I really need to utilize at least some direct cooking?  What would be the result of indirectly cooking boneless/skinless?  Dry chicken?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »
I've done indirect BS chicken with good results. Just keep a close eye on the internal temp as to not have dry meat. I stopped buying BS chicken and only buy bone in now.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 02:29:26 PM »

I've done indirect BS chicken with good results. Just keep a close eye on the internal temp as to not have dry meat. I stopped buying BS chicken and only buy bone in now.

Yeah me too. Bone in skin on breasts are incredible.

I'll butterfly boneless Skinless for fajitas.

robs2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
@Cduhejr... it turned out great. Started with the dry rub of minced onion, fresh pressed garlic, chili powder, kosher salt & coarse black pepper...

The breasts were all 4 over 1 lb each. Found a great local butcher shop here in Charlotte NC that has a standard $1.99/lb local, antibiotic-free, veggie-fed breast (I'll be visiting them weekly) and they were exceptional.

Because I was curious about direct vs indirect cooking, I did the first 3 direct on about 3/4 chimney full of Webber briquettes and then added another handful, cranked open the vents and did the final breast indirect. They were all outstanding but I must say... I will be leaning toward indirect in the future.

Thanks for all the tips guys. This new griller is seriously hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 03:24:57 AM »
Looks like you nailed it! Congrats on a fine cook!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 04:11:03 AM »
Looks nice and juicy.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 04:31:52 AM »
The picture shows off the juiciness well. Very nice!