Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Also going Tri-Tip!  (Read 1396 times)

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Also going Tri-Tip!
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:49 AM »
Whelp.. I’m blaming everyone here.

This weekend I’ll get out the RED kettle that I don’t know if I’ve ever used it??  I may get out the adjustable lower grate or maybe the heavy duty incredible dude level wire baskets that I had welded up.  If I do, maybe the 14 proto…

But I’m going Tri-tip.  It was @Pat G and the recent post that got me hankerin for one.

Opening it up to everyone since it’s been a while since I’ve done one.  How do you all want me to cook it?  Any thoughts to wood to burn with this?  I have some apple, or maybe just a little mesquite.  It can get a little sharp with that.  Hickory.. eh.. that’s for the pork.

Ideas?
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
Re: Also going Tri-Tip!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
Glad I could inspire.  I've been using post oak on beef lately with great results.  Can't wait to see your cook.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
I may make 2.  One for the family, one for me!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »
Can’t wait to see the pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

This weekend I’ll get out the RED kettle that I don’t know if I’ve ever used it??  I may get out the adjustable lower grate or maybe the heavy duty incredible dude level wire baskets that I had welded up.  If I do, maybe the 14 proto…

But I’m going Tri-tip.  It was @Pat G and the recent post that got me hankerin for one.

Opening it up to everyone since it’s been a while since I’ve done one.  How do you all want me to cook it?  Any thoughts to wood to burn with this?  I have some apple, or maybe just a little mesquite.  It can get a little sharp with that.  Hickory.. eh.. that’s for the pork.

Ideas?
Cherry wood

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Ideas?
Cherry wood

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Love cherry with beef!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
This is my favorite way to deal with tri tip. And with mesquite...

One for me Two for me ...

Dude, relax your chicken.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
Never do just one.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:33:19 AM »
Man... I feel like going on a steak ride all afternoon and then digging in.  Great pics..

Not too many horses by me.. Maybe the old motorcycle will have to do...

WHO'S HUNGRY!!?

I have to pick up some charcoal so I'll see what woods I can find as well.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
Mike...

You want us to tell you how to cook it?!?!

Cook it how YOU want to...or your preference.

My go to woods for beef are Oak/Apple. Some good lump charcoal is really all you need though. A tri tip is just steak in a roast form.

I have been playing around with a reverse sear on tri tips lately, but 95% of all the tri tips I've ever done on the grill have been seared hot and fast, then indirect to finish.

Go simple on the seasoning and you'll be fine.

29tx

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
Pat inspired me to do a tri tip as well. @MDurso I'm curious about the adjustable lower grate, haven't seen one of those yet.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
I love pecan with just about anything. Mild, not overpowering... my go to. And do tell about this adjustable lower grate?
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.