Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef Short Ribs on the WSM  (Read 1699 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Beef Short Ribs on the WSM
« on: August 28, 2017, 08:52:25 AM »
My plan was actually to cook these on my birthday last weekend, but there was too much going on. So I bought these last Wednesday to cook yesterday.

So Paella Saturday, ribs on Sunday.

Pretty straight forward with these. 50/50 Salt/Pepper, USDA Prime cryovac.

They came pre-trimmed, but I needed
to trim them just a touch to remove loose/hard fat and removed the back membrane.

So I actually did these as a 3-2-1 instead of straight through for 9 hours at 285. I read you could actually do them with beef ribs too, so why not try?The driving factor was the possibility of finishing these guys in 6, rather than 9 hours, so I could get other things done during the kids' naps.

Normally guys put one on each rack of an 18WSM, but I absolutely hate messing with the second rack if the top isn't completely full so I used the "foil hump" trick that some guys use with large briskets to squeeze both racks on top. It worked!

Results:

Excellent! They turned out surprisingly better than I thought for a 3-2-1 method. The final hour took a little longer (about 30 minutes extra) to get to about 203 degrees.

They were incredibly tender, but still had some bite. Bones were absolutely clean, so perfectly cooked!

Also, this was my first time using the Weber Briquettes in the WSM and I was very impressed. They perform just like Stubbs but seem to burn a little hotter and lasted forever. I even opened the vents after to burn everything off and it got up to 425 (with the pan). Impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Beef Short Ribs on the WSM
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Wow those look amazing! Nothing like a good beef rib.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Great job:  one of my favs!! Going to do some this weekend as a side for a KCBS contest here in Mitten State.

Suggestion on leftovers:  slice them individually (with bone intact) and vacuum them into your freezer.  Then defrost and them in your favorite chili recipe instead of ground beef. Be sure to leave the bone in while simmering in your cast iron skillet. Watch others eye pop up on the flavor of your chili batch.
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »
Looks grate from here!

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Beef Short Ribs on the WSM
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:46:58 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion @duff645...

My wife wants a "rib picture" with my son and we are already on the second rack. I just don't see these making it to the freezer this time around. ;)

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
Beautiful cooks this weekend Mike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
The bark on those ribs is incredible!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
Those look incredible, I'll have to try that.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

Funny how great minds think alike..
 They look incredable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!