Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber GBS Dutch oven - help and tips needs  (Read 5827 times)

marcpij

• Happy Cooker
Weber GBS Dutch oven - help and tips needs
« on: August 13, 2017, 03:53:43 AM »
I recently bought a weber dutch oven for my kettle. Starting to read a little on dutch ovens, I learned that with a traditional dutch oven you put the oven on top of the coals, and put coals on the top of the lid. There's is a certain ratio between top and bottom coals to obtain 350F/180C.
This got me wondering, how do I properly use my weber dutch oven? Use direct or indirect heat? In case of indirect, circular or canyon? Use your vents open to sear the meat and then close the vents if you want to simmer? Is the lid closed sufficient to get the heat result you normally get from the top coals?
Different strategies needed if you make a stew or a bread/pie?
Any help/tips are welcome.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
Re: Weber GBS Dutch oven - help and tips needs
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 07:21:18 AM »
I love my GBS dutch oven, it is a fine addition for cooking stew's, soups, and chili just to name a few things I've done with mine. I use both charcoal baskets and set up for indirect heat every time I use it and adjust the vents to get the desired temperature for the cook, but I tend to go low and slow every time it and it works great. I tried using direct heat on my first cook and had disastrous results. As this is not a traditional camping style dutch oven, please do not try putting charcoal on the lid as that s a technique for open fire cooking. Just put the dome on the grill and you will get the desired results. Besides, the lid lacks the flat top and ridge around the edges to keep the charcoal in place. Have fun with it and please share pictures of your cooks!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
Can't go wrong with the snake method either. Makes a perfect slow cooker.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »
Great idea! I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Here are collared greens I recently made with the Weber dutch oven

[attachment deleted by admin]

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
I have a SToK CI grate with the SToK CI Dutch oven... wonderful combo. I made a beef ragu, and I just put a pile of lit coals under the pot, controlled the temp with the vents.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

marcpij

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 12:40:49 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm going to use it soon. First recipe will be a Belgian beer stew.
B.t.w. There's some confusion on seasoning. Did any of you season your Weber Dutch oven, and if yes: how?

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:46 AM »
The Weber GBS Dutch oven is very expensive .... does anyone know or use an equivalent sized Lodge Dutch oven (5qt or 7qt) that will fit in the hole on GBS grate?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 05:35:09 AM »

The Weber GBS Dutch oven is very expensive .... does anyone know or use an equivalent sized Lodge Dutch oven (5qt or 7qt) that will fit in the hole on GBS grate?
@fljoemon.  This is what I use:Lodge 5 Qt double dutch oven - 50% off today
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=30256

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 06:32:32 AM »
Looking to get my first Dutch oven. I like the Lodge enameled DO but it says to not use it on a grill. Any advice for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SacramentoWeber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
Can we get the Weber Dutch oven here in the states?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 06:54:50 AM »
@kettlebb, I can't speak to the Lodge enameled DO's, but I use my Le Creuset pieces all the time on the grill with no adverse effects.  The enamel is easier to clean IMO and never needs to be seasoned.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:05:41 AM by Mr.CPHo »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »
Thanks @Mr.CPHo .  I'm leaning towards the Lodge 5QT Double Dutch Oven. I like that the lid is an additional 10" skillet if I need it.

Lodge L8DD3 Cast Iron Double Dutch Oven, 5-Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eKeNzbQ78XVV6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
Wow, I didn't know Weber had its own CI DO.  I like to use my Lodge DO on the kettle when I can.  I have made corn chowder and this is an Indian chicken dish.

Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »
I have the Weber Gourmet BBQ System Dutch Oven. It is one of the more useful and practical GBS accessories that Weber offers. In fact, I have all 10 of the Weber GBS accessories. I use the Ebelskiver pan as a muffin pan for cornbread. (I have never made or even seen an ebelskiver before) and I cook chili in the Dutch Oven so I have chili and cornbread combo - works very good. I am trying to get that new GBS accessory that Weber just came out with.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"