Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold Grate Searing  (Read 2332 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Cold Grate Searing
« on: August 05, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »
I saw an interesting post up in Face Book with a link for cold grate searing.  I took a look and thought I would try it myself.

So tonight I made some double thick pork chops using the cold grate method. Set up two zone using my coal holders, seared my chops for 2 minutes direct over the cold grate, turned the grate 1/4 and seared the second side for 2 minutes. Then I moved the chops to indirect for the duration. Slathered them with a peach whiskey sauce for a few minutes each side before taking them off.

Sorry no pic, but they were tasty, tender and juicy despite my eyeballing them because I have not gotten a temp probe yet. They were definitely thoroughly cooked.

Check this out and see what you think
https://abcbarbecue.com/cold-grate-technique/

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Cold Grate Searing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
I saw that as well in a video from adrenaline Bbq. I am going to try it as well and see if I get a more complete sear. I know in the video they used the SNS. This is the video from @ABCbarbecue  https://youtu.be/U722RZahzzU

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
I don't have the SNS so I used my Weber coal holders together on one side for a 2 zone setup and it worked just fine.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:06:17 PM »
Cold grate searing works. Creates a nice even crust. Hot grates = grill marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:52:18 PM »
The heat transfer makes sense. Now I gotta try it.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Cold Grate Searing
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
Tried it also with a ribeye and it worksed very well. The only difference is iused  2 separate grates.  Got the temperature  at about 875F then placed the grate  alomg with the meat in the grill.   When it's time to turn, i  quickly  removed the grate from the grill and replaced it  with the 2nd grate to finish cooking the other side of the steak. A bit more hassle but the result is awesome. 

JV
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:41:30 PM by Jules V. »

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 05:11:03 AM »
That is actually a good idea.....I also have two grates......the one that came with my grill and the gourmet one. My pork came out perfect and looking forward to doing a steak very soon.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
I think I will try it but I will make sure I have a clean grate before I start.  Part of the reason I like to pre-heat the grate is to kill all the "gremlins" if you will living on the grate from previous cooks.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 08:01:56 AM »
I usually get an all over sear without worrying about the grate. If anything I get grill marks with an all over sear. Best of both worlds [emoji3]

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:06:26 AM »

I think I will try it but I will make sure I have a clean grate before I start.  Part of the reason I like to pre-heat the grate is to kill all the "gremlins" if you will living on the grate from previous cooks.

That is a good point. I always scrape my grate after a cook, but there is probably residue that should be burned off before using it again.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:13 AM »
You don't need 2 grates for cold searing. Turning the grate is sufficient and I do it with the lid off. The grate cools enough to avoid the grill marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
I've done this a few times how and the results are nothing short of greatness!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
Gonna have to try this!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 02:03:41 PM »
Dave has got it right. There is no better sear than charcoal. Grid marks on your meat are okay for gas grills but I could never understand the use of heavy duty cast iron grates on charcoal grills. You want the infrared sear that charcoal provides and the flimsy steel grates are best when searing over charcoal. I recall reading on a web site for a leading infrared gas grill manufacturer that their product provided as much infrared heat as charcoal. When you think about it a Weber kettle or Smokey Joe is gourmet searing and is hard to beat. I give this A+ for technique. I will have to try the grate flip as it does makes sense if you want to maximize avoiding grid marks.