Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle Temperature  (Read 1141 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Kettle Temperature
« on: July 23, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
Because of so much conversation about temperature gaging I bought a standard oven thermostat.  Wanted to see how far off my lid gage is.  Making some turkey thighs today and so far both gages are pretty much in sync.  That surprised me because most posting says that the lid gage is usually off a lot.  But it must be off because the lid and grate temps can't really be the same, right?  The grate should be hotter?????

I am doing indirect with 2 baskets on the sides and meat in the middle
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 01:16:46 PM by clarissa »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle Temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
Your first sentence hits it on the head, OVEN.  Lid thermos read temps as an oven would, "we" don't necessarily use our grills as ovens, so we are more concerned with the temp AT the grilling surface...the only time I would consider using a lid thermo would be in a smoker.. overall temp is what you're watching because we are slow "cooking", not directly trying to grill the meat.... just my observation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:20:07 PM »
I was surprised that the lid temp was the same as the oven gage I just got and placed on the grate. Somehow I thought the grate temp would read higher. Was that because I set up for indirect?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've noticed that the lid thermometer and my grate probe for the Maverick are even on long low and slow cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 06:25:45 AM »
The lid thermo is a decoration.  I use oven thermos or my Maverick.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »
Hot air rises.....the lid will likely start off lower (or higher, depending on setup) & then equalize as the temp throughout the cook chamber stabilizes.......

You can test them in hot water & ice water & see what you're getting as a reading & then disregard one or the other or mentally adjust for how far they're off.....

See Here:

http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2013/06/dome-temperature-grill-temperature/ 

& Here:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/testing-thermometers-for-accuracy.html

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"