Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Fat side up or Down  (Read 2919 times)

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
Fat side up or Down
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »
Need some advice !   Smoking 2 pork butt tonight.   Fat side up or down when smoking.  I thinking fat side up but anybody do fat side down

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Fat side up or Down
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »
Depends on what you're cooking on. General consensus says to put the fat cap between the heat and meat. So on a WSM it would be fat cap down. That's my style anyway.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »
I am using WSM

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:00:04 PM »
It will probably work fat side up, but in my opinion fat down would be best.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
Depends on what you're cooking on. General consensus says to put the fat cap between the heat and meat. So on a WSM it would be fat cap down. That's my style anyway.
What this guy said.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »
What about removing the fat cap ?

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
I second what that guy said.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »

I wouldn't do it. The fat keeps the meat closest to the heat from burning. Try one without it and one with it and see what you like.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:54 AM »
I cut off the fat cap.  It just ends up in your drip pan anyway.  That gives more suface for rub which gives you more bark.  Butts have alot of marbling in them so it's hard to dry them out.  You can spray with apple juice once in awhile to protect them.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »

I wouldn't do it. The fat keeps the meat closest to the heat from burning. Try one without it and one with it and see what you like.

I putt fat cap down, mainly for aethetics. Butts are so fatty it really doesn't matter that much as long as your heat source is sufficiently far away. You can also remove the fat cap with minimal detriment. This may be less true for UDS's where the flavor pofile depends on the fat falling onto the fire.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
Just did two butts on the 26er w/the Slow N Sear.  For the first time, I trimmed the vast majority of the fat cap off.  I let them cook to about 160º IT and they both pulled "like butta."  We'll be enjoying them at the beach in two weeks.

Like I said, this is the first time I trimmed.  In the past I have always cooked them fat side up.  But that's just me.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
Just did two butts on the 26er w/the Slow N Sear.  For the first time, I trimmed the vast majority of the fat cap off.  I let them cook to about 160º IT and they both pulled "like butta."  We'll be enjoying them at the beach in two weeks.

BD
I'm surprised you can pull them apart at 160. I take mine up to 195 - 205 IT to get them to pull, depending on how I cook them.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »

BD
I'm surprised you can pull them apart at 160. I take mine up to 195 - 205 IT to get them to pull, depending on how I cook them.

Sorry ! ! !  I took them up to 208º and 212º but I let them cool down to about 160º before digging into them.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

joewhodatt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
I actually remove one fat cap off and put it in under the pork butt with the fat cap on.   I did it fat cap down so it would drip  onto the butt without a fat cap.   Both came out great.  Thanks for all the info and help !

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 11:58:11 AM »
Who has tried a butt with no water pan in the wsm?  Maybe I'll try this with fat cap down.