Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trash Score! (Red 26)  (Read 2282 times)

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
Trash Score! (Red 26)
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
Evening everyone,

Long time no see!  I am a huge lurker and don't post often enough (although my brother Bob BQ posts enough for the both of us!).  I had to come out of lurking to show off my newest find.  I have had some luck over the years finding rare kettles including my painted-over D code yellow trash find (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/yellow-kettle-restore-newbie-problems-(pic-heavy)/) and had an unsuccessful cold call for a red ranger that is up the street from me (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/apparently-my-neighborhood-is-a-goldmine-(red-ranger-spotted)/new/#new).  I am going to have to add this next one to my list of treasures though!

Scored this A code Red 26er while driving to work Thursday morning!  It was the bowl and lid only (I was in a hurry as I was running late and didn't even think to look INSIDE the guys trash can until I was already at work).  I was able to scrape the inside and give it a quick scrub with the hose and some steel wool tonight.  As you can see by the pictures, there are no dampers, the lid handle is screwed on and it needs a real wood handle.  The biggest problem is that there are holes (5 total) where the straps have worn out (one strap is completely gone).  Overall though it is in great condition (other than the straps).  Now I just have to decide what to do with it, I know the grates and triangle are nearly impossible to come by but I would say I have a good little problem on my hands!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 10:59:46 PM by Lowbrass »
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Trash Score!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
Awesome score! If you were to re strap it you can change the geometry a bit so it accepts modern grates.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
Yep!  I just have to figure out how!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Trash Score!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 01:43:55 AM »
Hell yeah!! Congrats!

Please keep us posted of your RRR progress. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:59:13 AM by Mr.CPHo »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
Outstanding find there....and well worth the effort to bring it back to cooking shape.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 01:09:41 PM »
I love trashy grills!
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Trash Score! (Red 26)
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
We can rebuild her. Better! Stronger!! Seriously...... I cant wait to see this one come back to life. Daisy wheels..... easy fix. Legs, easy fix. Wheels, easy fix. Triangle, a bit of a challenge? Grate straps......donor straps I'm thinking.... or does anyone have a different/better idea. This grill can and will rise again. Do you have grates? A 22 cooking grate I believe could be used for the charcoal grate. The Grillmark 25" replacement cooking grates work famously with these old 26ers.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
Since it has quite a bit of character perhaps stainless bolts with washers and wing nuts could be used for grate holders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 06:15:46 PM »
We can rebuild her. Better! Stronger!! Seriously...... I cant wait to see this one come back to life. Daisy wheels..... easy fix. Legs, easy fix. Wheels, easy fix. Triangle, a bit of a challenge? Grate straps......donor straps I'm thinking.... or does anyone have a different/better idea. This grill can and will rise again. Do you have grates? A 22 cooking grate I believe could be used for the charcoal grate. The Grillmark 25" replacement cooking grates work famously with these old 26ers.

A deal has been struck! The restore should be relatively easy, once this beauty makes it's way to it's new home.

In the meantime, here's a better pic courtesy of @Lowbrass

Sent from my iPhone using a Red 26 trash find
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:17:47 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 06:26:06 PM »
Congratulations, Bob BQ!

Holy Grail: 1960s Glen Blue 22 aka The Imperial.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 08:25:27 PM »
damn bob!! LUCKY!!!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
Brotherly love?  Sure!  I didn't have the space, Bob has all the parts and besides, I can still cook on it or borrow it should the need arise.  Staying in the family (although I might have to hunt you down if you ever sell this Bob!).  I have something special in mind for my end that can't be revealed yet.  Can't wait to officially make the swap!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:38:53 PM by Lowbrass »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 05:22:10 AM »
PM me if you are looking for a triangle axel, wheels, legs and 22" twist on ash pan
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 08:33:43 AM »
wow, awesome score!! congrats!!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
i like trashy redheads.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers