Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Weber charcoal results so far  (Read 1296 times)

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
New Weber charcoal results so far
« on: August 05, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
So I got my Weber sample a while back and just got around to trying it out it definitely seems to have a lot less ash and burn longer than the kingsford I think it also can get very hot for searing and it seems like less smoke at start up. My sample bag was in great shape all very nice briquettes very little dust. So I scored some bags at target clearance and broke into my first full 20lb bag today a little less exited about the condition of this bag a lot of charcoal dust and small pices that just fall through the great. Now I don't have any idea if it's just from the way the bag was handled after it left the factory or if it was sent out that way

Above picture is of the bag dumped into my charcoal bin below is a pic of one briquette with a chunk of wood hanging out the side of it they where not kidding about them being made from real hardwood

So these are all just my opinions and observations so far  I've got 7 more bags I got on clearance and I'll see if this is just a anomaly or if all the bags are about the same. Let me know what you guys who have tried them so far think I love cooking with them so far just a bit disappointed with the lose product in the bottom of the first bag maybe I'll try and weigh up the lose material out of the next bag and see how much is waste I didn't think about it this time thanks for looking and let me know what u think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:24:13 PM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Weber charcoal results so far
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 04:34:09 PM »
Why would anyone be upset about your observations? I don't really remember a bag of charcoal I've ever purchased without some charcoal dust and small pieces. Looking forward to trying it out.

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »
One of the first things I thought when I picked a bunch of the Target clearance bags was that it sounded like there was a lot of dust in the bottom of the bags. I was hoping that it just sounded that way due to the plastic bags being louder than paper bags. I have not tried it yet so it remains to be seen how much dust there is.

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
I feel like maybe some bags get pulverized, especially when a pallet full of 20 lb. bags is kicking around the store for a couple months. It does look a little excessive. I've been pretty happy with it so far.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
I just don't usually get near that kind of lose material with kingsford I've gotten a old bag of charcoal before with a kettle pick up that looked like it had gotten damp before that had about the same amount of lose material but I figured it was from getting damp and some charcoal falling apart the rest of that old bag was very brittle. But these were the last of the bags at this target and I'm sure they had been bounced around a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
BBQ to live live to BBQ

Merkong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 05:20:35 PM »
Love the Weber briquettes.

Especially at $6 a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

[attachment deleted by admin]
"You're hungry? I'll fire up the grills..."

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »
I also bought some of the Weber charcoal, 15 bags, LOL.... I used it this last weekend to smoke some pork cushion, I used 4#, 3 chunks of oak and added about 18 lit coals. Smoker ran between 200 and 225 for 9 1/2 hours!!  and when I finally took the pork out of the smoker, there was probably still another 45 minutes worth of heat. I really like the stuff, but will not pay $20 for it....
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 07:06:55 PM »
Hey guys update on lose product in the second bag so this time I pulled all the solid chunks out and just left the lose  dust and pieces that would fall through and after weighing it came to almost 1.3 lbs I put can on the scale and zero it then added loose coal and that's what I got just looking I think it was a little less than what came out of the first bag I used but since I didn't weigh that one up can't be sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ