Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber SST Red Mist gas tank help pleeeeeze.  (Read 1696 times)

TexasDude

• Happy Cooker
Weber SST Red Mist gas tank help pleeeeeze.
« on: June 14, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
I was forwarded to the forum from Facebook and need a little help. I picked up a Red Mist SST over the weekend I am looking a getting the gas tank all hooked up.

Everything was included with the grill except the tank. It has the gas connections and the hose has the quick release. However, it didn't come with the tank and was curious should I....

A. Fit it to use the modern little propane camping tanks?
B. Fit it to use a normal 2.5 or 5 gallon propane tank?
C. Fit it to use its original 5 gallon tank?

I have camping tanks that I can refill easily using my current 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon propane tanks. I have on hand several of each on hand that I can throw in to the rotation. However, I like the idea of using the little propane tanks because it would create more space underneath the table. With that said, I would have to order the original tank that came with the grill because I don't have one on hand. I'm hoping I could find a tank somewhere.

What would be the best and easiest option so I can stay married. Can any of you gents push me towards a walkthrough on how to make all the connections.

Thank you so much in advance,

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:42:05 PM by TexasDude »

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
Re: Weber SST Red Mist gas tank help pleeeeeze.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 04:21:53 AM »
That looks to be in nice condition.  My opinion is keep it original if possible.

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
and  rotisserie  as well??? nice score! keep a small tank, i agree, as original as possible, but purely up to you..
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »
First off, welcome from FL.

Very nice redhead Stainless Steel Performer (SSP).  With a roti?... super score!

Looks like the wheels and castors are on the wrong sides.

I'm also of the opinion you should source the original 5lb tank.  I've purchased a couple from Ace for around $60-ish.   You may need a quick connect adapter.  There are lots of threads on this topic along with lots of helpful people. 

Here's a similar setup to what you have:

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »
I have picked up at least two of these performers over the last two years with the wheels and casters on the wrong end.

I've also picked up two that has had the frame handles cut off even with the SS top.  Instead of buying the correct cover, the handles were cut to allow the newer performer cover to fit.  Funny thing is I didn't notice until I got the grills home!  Go figure.